Project Big Red

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I know how you feel about loosing parts. I just spent about 2 hrs the other night looking for some clamps to fix my e brake for inspection. Running around getting mad then I finally found some other ones to use.......

The next morning I looked in my glove box and guess where they were "so I would not loose them" it just goes with the territory sometimes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about either moving the over temp sensor or deleting it. I think all it does is trigger the engine light to come on anyway. If we get to 260 F, I've probably got bigger problems. The glow plug thing is a real irritation. I may stick the old autolites in long enough to mock the thing up. I want to get the new engine harness done before it goes into the truck so it's a lot easier to route stuff. That reminds me.... I need to figure out where the tach sensor plugs in and if I need to include it in the mock up.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm such an idiot. I couldn't figure out why all the block plugs were 1/2 npt and the stock gauge sensor was 3/8 so I used a bushing and stuck it in a hole. I totally forgot about the port up on the front driver side. It was plugged and I just didn't see it. I'll either put my autometer gauge there or move the stock gauge back and put it there. :frustrate

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found my glow plugs!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Installed them and test fit the harness.

It fits but it's tight in places. Good news is I think I can slip some sender wires through the harness to keep things clean. I forgot the water in fuel sensor though so I'm short a wire in my plug. [emoji35]

Cleaned this guy up.

I stripped down the old IP. Got the lines off.

Cleaning them up, we will see how they come out. Need to find my new line clamps now.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Harness looks great, I would just make sure it fits up well with the injector lines around it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs were in a box with the fuel filter that had fallen in a hole under the work bench. Far corner three layers of crap deep. [emoji849]

Exactly Jared. I want to put as much together as I can with the engine on the stand easy to get to. I'll dry fit the injectors and lines with the pump before it all goes in the frame. That's the goal for today.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got some parts in today.

That ought to improve the air flow up front.

Pyro probe arrived.

Damn thing is metric. [emoji35]
5mm. Have to redrill my fitting.

And the majority of my day.

Pretty. [emoji6]

This is what they started out as.

Mocked up the coolant filter bracket.

Got my water temp sensor installed. It's in the factory sender location.

I lots of work but not a ton of visible progress. But I did mow grass too. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Damn thing is metric. [emoji35]
5mm. Have to redrill my fitting. ..

Oh well, yet another reason to not use the banks hole.

Man I don't know what I'm going to do for entertainment when you are done with all your nickle plating. Love seeing that stuff come to life.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't worry Rob, at the rate I'm going entertainment should last a while.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I expect a thorough list and specific plating thread with lots of ooey gooey details so we all can copy yer hard done work...once all done...;Sweet with all the different plating you have done and what you have used etc

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it is a 6.0 harness. It's okay quality, but just okay. For what I paid for it, I think it will be fine. I'm bastardizing it anyway.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been an up and down day. Mostly down and frustrating.

Block heater is a fail.

It's not the right type of back. I think I can make it work but I'm not sure I want to. The problem with this particular one is really that the bolt in the middle is too short. I think swapping it out for a longer one would probably solve the problem. I'll see how easily I can get my hands on the correct one. May not be worth screwing with.

Meanwhile I started working more on the accessories.

Clip was blasted and plated. Bolt and clip were blasted and treated with black oxide.

Then I did the alternator bracket and installed it. I also stuck the coolant filter bit on there.

So, I have a little bit of a clearance issue with the alternator and my manifold. I think I can make it work but the valves I bought I think are going to be useless. So I have a couple options. I can do without valves or I can get inline valves. I need to revisit the plumbing path too. I may change things up and plumb the block connections in AN. Not a big deal now that all those lines will be feeding will be the heater core and the coolant filter. Again, need to sleep on it.

I started wiring a little. Here's the factory coolant sensor.

I fished the wire through the gp harness and added a tail of loom to the last connector. It's actually just a T connector.

I installed the oil feed for the turbo.

Had to touch the lip on the casting.

Little touch up of course.

Fitting installed.

Line installed.

I may actually pull the line and grind the block casting back a hair more. The points of the hose fitting just touch the block as it goes in. I would have liked to snugged it up a touch more but I didn't want to break the fitting.

So that brings me to my next big problem. Oil pressure sensors.

So I can kinda sorta get to this spot but I can't really get a sender in there. I could put an extension tube in there but that makes me a little nervous. So I either have to do something up at the turbo or I may be able to do something with the stock port up on top. Since I'm not using the banks turbo I may have enough room to do something there.

I finished off the lines and clamps on the IP.

Turned out pretty good. I'm not real happy with #2 injector line but I'm not inclined to mess with it right now. I ended up reusing the 4 line clamp. The set of new clamps I bought only had clamps for 3 lines.

So tomorrow I'd like to get the power steering pump brackets and AC brackets. Need to do the hold downs for the valve covers. Turns out I've got a nice non-cork set of valve cover gaskets. I picked them up on clearance from rock auto. [emoji2]

So it doesn't seem like much but I was busy all damn day.