Project Big Red

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
That's the information that I found to and worked with. If I remember right the aftermarket intercooler available from hypermax runs 2.25 piping. It's a little easier to fit smaller pipe but I prefer a little more head room myself and went with 2.5.

Of coarse it really helped Darrin cut me an awesome deal on his leftover 2.5 pipe!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Down pipe is ready to be wrapped.

You must be registered for see images attach

I only sand blasted the aluminum off the pipe on the end that's welded so you can see how far into the bath it went. Should serve the purpose.

I also ordered my pump this afternoon. Big Red will be Bull Moose powered. ;sweet

I blasted the exhaust manifolds. They are soaking in acid to try and finish cleaning them up. I'll probably be up all night screwing with that. We shall see how things go. It was tough to get them clean. I'm fighting with my blast cabinet again. I think it's time for a new gun. May try to pick one up at TSC tomorrow. It seems like the efficiency is way down. I think it's leaking air from some place it shouldn't like around the trigger.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Busy day. I'm beat.

So first up, thermostat housing. Needed something to keep the ball in there. Stainless star washer.

Motorcraft thermostat.

And some ultra black on the gasket surfaces and we got her licked.

Next up. I left the manifolds half done last night. I swapped out my blast gun. So much better. Compressor actually will almost cycle off and on now. It will cycle if you pause for a minute to shuffle stuff around. No more balls out all the time. Way more efficient.

I didn't take a lot of pictures during the process but I think it's gonna be good.

I prepped the other manifold for the pyro. Flattened a little spot and drilled and tapped for 1/4 npt.

And the other side.

And with the oil cooler installed.

The turbo mount brackets are smoothed out and done.

Some of the accessory parts.

Here are the washers for the exhaust manifold. I put them on the titanium wire and twisted it so they couldn't get loose. Then I blasted them on it and then plated 8 at a time first batch.

And on the bolts.

You can see what they looked like before sitting in the background.

And installed loosely.

The banks up pipe is in the blast cabinet. It's about half done. I had a vacuum cleaner malfunction that led me to go ahead and do a full service on the cabinet so that's where I got to.

More of the same tomorrow.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost did them in standard black oxide. But I didn't want them to rust.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today's update is a little thinner than yesterday's.

I did the other exhaust manifold washers and installed it.

Got the uppipe blasted. Had to do it one end at a time. Just for reference here is the contrast. Nickel on the bottom and blasted cast on top.

And here is the finished product.

Not perfect but not bad.

Pulled the plug out of the oil galley. It's going to be tight to get a fitting in there for sure. I may order a different fitting than I have.

I pulled out these senders. Geeze. How many water temp sensors does on engine need. One says 244. One says 260. The other is the high idle cold advance switch.

Think I'll check on replacements as a matter of principle. The switch reads closed as it is which is correct. I'm not completely sure where the others go but I have the other engine to look at luckily.

I wanted to slap the turbo on and mock all the lines up but I can't put the up pipe on until I put the adapter plate back on.

Sigh.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget some rtv on the bolt threads for thermostat housing. The shorter one does thread into the coolant jacket. I found that out the hard way after building line last month.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget some rtv on the bolt threads for thermostat housing. The shorter one does thread into the coolant jacket. I found that out the hard way after building line last month.

I think I did.... now I'm going to have to go pull it and check because I also remember telling myself, that looks like a blind hole. :rolleyes:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot and then remembered the hard way by new coolant all over the place as it sprayed past the head of the bolt once it warmed up

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moose fairy made a delivery.

I installed the spectre block off plate. Didn't take a pic but it's shiny.

Installed water temp switchs and senders.

Sender

Warning light switch.

I plugged this port and installed the bored through egt probe fitting. Hopefully it's the right size.

Picked up this fitting for the oil feed. Going to have to touch the block there with a grinder. Fitting won't tighten up.

This came with it but I don't think it will work.

I've got lots of little things to do. I need to figure out where I'm putting my autometer water temp sender. How many water temp senders do I need??? I'm considering pulling the switch for the over temp light. I really don't think I need it but we will see.

I'm going to modify my water manifold for the turbo plumbing scheme I'm using now and hopefully hey a bracket made tomorrow.

Found my block heaters. Still haven't found the glow plugs. Suggestions for a good place for my oil pressure senders? I didn't have the relocation block for the banks turbo. Banks says remove it from the back of the block. Not really room to put a sender amongst the tap for the turbo oil feed because of the exhaust.

The glow plug thing is really ******* me off. Ruined my whole evening.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I missed the glow plug issue? whats up there?

Engine looks sharp. That nickel plate is pretty slick.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I missed the glow plug issue? whats up there?

Engine looks sharp. That nickel plate is pretty slick.

I bought 2 new sets when they were on sale and two block heaters with cords about the same time. Found the block heaters, can't find the damn glow plugs. I don't know what I did with them. I've been through everything I can think of with truck parts in it. So I guess I "put them up so I wouldn't loose them". [emoji849]

I hate to buy another set.

I do like the nickel plate. I hope it holds up nice.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of wondered if that was the deal. Yeah I know I've got new parts here that I've bought twice. Sucks. They're small too so damn easy to misplace.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Personally I would say the over temp switch isn't needed. Especially still having the stock gauge + a aftermarket. So I would put it there, or one of the ports right above the exhaust Manifold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nighthawk14

Members online