Project Thread: 1986 F250 “Farm Truck #1” Build Thread

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moving right along the shakeout phase, now. The new problem of the week is that the truck decided that it didn’t like the fuel block off plate gasket. Sprang a steady leak that new gaskets, larger washers, and even a new block off plates haven’t solved.

I haven’t tried dual layering the gaskets, I doubt that would seal.

I will be trying black permatex gasket maker tomorrow and see if it works on Sunday.

Should I combine the permatex with a gasket or run it without the gasket?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving right along the shakeout phase, now. The new problem of the week is that the truck decided that it didn’t like the fuel block off plate gasket. Sprang a steady leak that new gaskets, larger washers, and even a new block off plates haven’t solved.

I will be trying black permatex gasket maker tomorrow and see if it works on Sunday.

I do a very light coating of black gasket maker on my diff cover gasket, and since the F-Super Duty trucks have such low mile diff oil changes, that’s something that I will get to do plenty…

I also did this to the block off plate gasket on my 86

No leaks

Ymmv

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

Before you go any farther, does your block off plate(s) fit correctly? I know that some or most of them seem like they fit, but they actually touch part of the block which doesn't let then fit tightly against the machined surface. If this is the case, you'll need to remove a little bit of material. I think it's around the top of the plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan

Staff online