Clutch pedal stiff & doesn’t engage the clutch when depressed, also pedal gets stuck when coming back out?

Kingralph88

Reaction score
Today drove my 1985 6.9 4 speed with OD to the golf course. When I was in the parking lot it felt like it didn’t want to find a gear and thought it was just me, but now I’m certain because the clutch won’t engage for me to put the truck into any gear!

Any thoughts on this? The pedal seems like it doesn’t want to fully depress, reset when foot is taken off. This is a new truck to me and have no clue about these transmissions.

I currently am at the golf course with the truck parked where I left it getting a ride back to pick up my other truck. Any help/ ideas would be awesome!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cracked firewall?
Follow the linkage end to end.
Hydraulics bled?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose in a pinch you can "float the gears" to get home. An OTR truck mechanic who specialized in differential and transmission work suggested I learn how to "float the gears" as an emergency option, but it might also just screw up your transmission.

Kingralph88

Reaction score
Parked it over night here, and left a note on the window..

I am going to push it backwards and see if I can float it into second gear to get it a mile up the road where a farmer friend lives.

Check out the video that’s uploaded and tell me what you guys think, I am pressing the clutch in as hard as I can but it will not drop to the floor it gets very hard to move and won’t budge farther down.

I did check fluid levels & they seem fine. Check out the pics of the bell housing too it looks like some fluid was leaking maybe? I am unsure if this looks like a lot of common.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea your cross shaft linkage is toast.
Could still be the firewall.
Also find the source of the fluid on bellhousing.
First bleed it.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with all the above points and Clb about the shaft linkage. These clutch (and brake) pedals employ some delrin bushings on the bracket assembly and they can wear through. Not sure exactly what your root issue is but everything mentioned is worth checking out. I replaced the clutch/brake pedal bracket on the '88 earlier this year as the original caste aluminum unit was cracked through. Good luck, least you're stuck on the golf course and not on the side of a 1 lane fireroad or something.

Another failure point is the clutch/master cylinder pushrod pivot point. Many replace it with a heim joint but from looking at your video it appears to be solid, at first glance at least.

The ford clutch assembly is kind of weak with a few issues but in my opinion i'd rather deal with it than an auto trans - ymmv.

Regarding the firewall comments some years f-series had issues with the firewall flexing and cracking due to clutch action - there is a service bulletin/recall about it.

This is just a quick search but here's a thread with more information - not sure if it's your issue but good background info. Haven't done the reinforcement on mine but keep an eye on it

Kingralph88

Reaction score
When you say firewall is this what you are referring to, I am learning more, but not very familiar with the typical problems that people have found over time.

Also: Cross shaft linkage being cooked, does this mean definitely a full new clutch kit?

Attachments

• IMG_4334.jpeg
    IMG_4334.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 8

Kingralph88

Reaction score
I was able to get it down to my farmer friends home he’s got a shop and tools so it’s the ideal spot. No longer at the golf course so that’s good!

I know replacing the clutch does come with dropping the trans & unlocking the drive shaft. Is this a fairly simple task on these T-19’s or is it something I should pay to have done?

I am pretty good with working on my vehicles but I’d rather not be working on it for days back to back.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say firewall is this what you are referring to, I am learning more, but not very familiar with the typical problems that people have found over time.

Also: Cross shaft linkage being cooked, does this mean definitely a full new clutch kit?
Yeah believe that's the firewall location, it's where the master cylinder rod passes between the cabin and the engine comparment. When pushing the clutch pedal it applies pressure to the firewall

I'm not 100% positive on the cross shaft linkage but believe it's inside the cab - beneath the steering column. It's a part of the clutch/brake pedal assembly.

Here's a pic of the 87-91 bracket assembly (am not familiar with other units) but what I'm thinking is the shaft linkage is circled.

Far as I know there's no indication yet you have any issues with the clutch unit itself - this is more likely related to the pedal assembly or master cylinder portions of the clutch system

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-09-02 at 1.32.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-09-02 at 1.32.53 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Op
Put your trucks specs in your sig line so we can see what we're working on...

You most likely wont need a true clutch kit.
It's definitely the pedal assembly .
Look closer at the spot the upper pedals hang from while you are pushing down the clutch pedal.
Bullnose trucks are different from the above pic. Similar but different...

Are the fasteners tight on the master and the slave cyl?

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
, but it might also just screw up your transmission.
The 4 speeds float pretty well, but the 5 speeds really don't like it.
When you say firewall is this what you are referring to
Yes. I believe that they crack on the outside, under the hood. In the area around the clutch master cylinder. The last I knew for sure, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard sells the reinforcement plates.
No. All that means is replacing the bushings. I believe that you'll have to remove the pedal bracket before you can install new bushings. It's not the easiest job, but it's certainly doable.
I know replacing the clutch does come with dropping the trans & unlocking the drive shaft. Is this a fairly simple task on these T-19’s or is it something I should pay to have done?
It is a fairly easy job to do yourself. It is involved though. Before you think about replacing the clutch, eliminate the other possibilities first. Unless you want to replace it just because.

Kingralph88

Reaction score
Yeah believe that's the firewall location, it's where the master cylinder rod passes between the cabin and the engine comparment. When pushing the clutch pedal it applies pressure to the firewall

I'm not 100% positive on the cross shaft linkage but believe it's inside the cab - beneath the steering column. It's a part of the clutch/brake pedal assembly.

Here's a pic of the 87-91 bracket assembly (am not familiar with other units) but what I'm thinking is the shaft linkage is circled.

Far as I know there's no indication yet you have any issues with the clutch unit itself - this is more likely related to the pedal assembly or master cylinder portions of the clutch system
Thank you for the picture, yea I’m thinking of internal components in the bell housing, but this makes more sense for sure & how the pedals are resisting me foot/hand

I am going to take a good look at these spots and see if something isn’t opening up/moving correctly when I’m there next.