Truck died when switching gears, can’t figure out why!

Kingralph88

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Smoking from the back side of the engine when reved up, problem just arose now.

Noticed this, then changed the oil and now with fresh oil it’s smoking back here into the engine bay.

Pretty heavy smoke on exhaust when starting also.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I wonder if one of the slip joints gave up the ghost suddenly.

You're gonna have to poke around and see where its coming from.

If it Sounds like its missing and heavy cloud of white smoke, it could be that an injector got stuck open.
Here's a vid of my rig when I had one injector stuck open. You can hear the fuel knock and the white smoke.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kingralph88

Reaction score
Got a video posted of the rough start, I’ll upload another with pressing the fuel pedal and nothing really happening (no power) then dying.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Im kind of inclined to say that the pump has bitten the dust at this point. Fuel cleaner shouldn't do that.

Unless you have some heavily contaminated fuel? Have you checked your lift pump pressure?

Kingralph88

Reaction score
I have not checked my lift pump pressure, but ai changed the fuel filter again and filled it with Diesel Klean close to a 50/50. When I took the filter off it was pretty full.

What’s the pressure on the list pump suppose to be at? 5-7 psi?

Kingralph88

Reaction score
I have a half quart of ATF in the tank, and just filled up right before this happened.

I filled with diesel, then noticed my sensor for the tank was reading E with a full tank, started driving it back to my farmer friends shop & she died a couple of times switching gears, when bump starting then giving it some gas it wouldn’t climb. Thought it was weird, shut it down and left for the day.

Come back today to turn it on and that’s when I recorded both videos.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thats about right yeah. Ive heard some people say under wide open throttle it can dip down to 2psi and be ok, but mine runs at 4-6psi through the entire RPM range.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Is there fuel in both tanks? Ive had thr fss get stuck on one tank before.

Kingralph88

Reaction score
There are two tanks, but one is cruddy and needs to be cleaned realllllyyy nicely or replaced.

That’s what the PO said. Only the front tank has been ran since I had it so far (clean tank).

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Do you recommend putting diesel in the second rear tank to see if the fss can be eliminated as a potential problem?
You mean the fsv (fuel selector valve). The fss is the fuel shut off solenoid which does what the name says.
Honestly, if the rear tank is as bad as the PO said, I wouldn't recommend it. You may end up with more problems from the crud inside it. Not to mention that it could be full of contaminated fuel that you don't want to run through your fuel system. If you want to eliminate the fsv, what I'd do is to disconnect the rubber fuel line at your lift pump (on the side of the engine). Then run a new piece of rubber fuel line into a 5 gallon fuel can with fresh diesel in it. That way, you'll only be running on the fuel in the can. The engine won't run for long, just a few minutes, on that as it will draw it all out and return it to the tank, but you'll be able to see if the engine behaves any differently.

Kingralph88

Reaction score
Yea that makes sense, I think tomorrow I’m going to drop the rear tank and run a new line, I also am looking at picking up a new IP and want to check options before I lose hope on mine.

Anyone have any good feedback on where to purchase a new IP, pricing is kind of all over the place & with this 6.9 it does have a turbo, idk if that changes anything when buying a new one.