So what did you do with your truck today?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Changed the cp4 out on a Passat.... Wait wrong forums...

I planed the gravel where I normally park my truck/camper now that I built a privacy fence so I dont have to look at my neighbors 3 carports full of mouldy boxes. Moved my truck and camper over. Oddly this time, truck fired off without a hitch, no struggle.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Painted my new to me dually hubs, ordered new wheel bearings and seals for em too.

On another note, anyone want a pair of free D60 dually hubs that are essentially unusable? Tired of stubbing my foot on them.

You must be registered for see images attach

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Nero Coming from your work where you have smooth floors, big honkin' lifts and air over hydraulic bottle jacks, etc... is it a PITA to work on the gravel with normal tools? I know you're not complaining, just curious. I don't have an apples-to-apples comparison for my work but I can imagine it's kind of a let-down for you guys that wrench for a living. I've never had a lift, smooth concrete, or an indoor shop so I don't know what I'm missing! :rotflmao

-Playme

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@The_Josh_Bear it depends on what I'm doing, I dont mind working on the gravel. Whenever I'm doing something more intense though I will move my project vehicle onto the paved driveway. Especially if it requires constant use of a cherry picker or floor jack. Or an open engine. Gotta keep that gravel dust out!

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not long ago I got the third element of that trifecta. A friend of mine who's had a lift for a bunch of years told me when I got mine, that it will become my most favorite tool... he was right. I've had my F350 on the lift for a while and needed to change the oil in my GMC, I was grumbling just with that little bit of crawling around on the ground. Not bragging @The_Josh_Bear ,it's just that you're right, I never knew what I was missing before.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, we made a grocery run. Notable because it was our first little roadtrip in the '94 van. 100 miles to Fairbanks, drove around town for a few hours hitting the stores, then home again. It worked flawlessly.

I had driven it to work for a few days, so when we fueled in Fairbanks it had about 180 miles on the trip odometer, took about 22 gallons, lousy milage. On the trip up we idled the engine about an hour for construction delays. On the way home we turned off the engine while we waited.

We fueled in Delta when we got home, 100 miles and 6 gallons, much better. That 0.71 OD and locking torque converter is great. We cruised at 55 most of the way, that big box is going to have a lot of wind resistance.

Old Swabbie

Reaction score
@The_Josh_Bear it depends on what I'm doing, I dont mind working on the gravel. Whenever I'm doing something more intense though I will move my project vehicle onto the paved driveway. Especially if it requires constant use of a cherry picker or floor jack. Or an open engine. Gotta keep that gravel dust out!
concrete floor nice when dropping a small part also.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We made it home with the parts truck we went after last week. Turned out that the rear wheels wouldn't turn because the C6 was in Park. It was another beautiful afternoon, a nice day for a drive, so that almost makes up for burning an extra 10 gallons or so of diesel. We went loaded for bear, ready to cut the rear drums off if they were rusted to the shoes. The nice lady there put it in neutral, and we pulled it right on with the comealong. The tie rods are gone, so we used a little chain hoist to pull the steering knuckles when it started to toe out.

Here it is:

Lots of parts missing already, but lots left there, too. King pin Dana 60, a decent cab and front clip.

The '89 brown crewcab dragged it home. It doesn't want to restart when it's hot now, so we had to pour a quart of water over the injection pump when I found 5th instead of 3rd and stalled the engine. We now have a replacement grill for it, and I need to get with Wes and see about getting a replacement injection pump.