my truck the squirrel mobile

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a 5 spd and all the needed goodies for sale?

Might even need a brownie. Put less than 100 miles on the squirrel mobile this weekend and used 3/4 of the front tank of fuel. At this rate I'll go broke driving this mug.

I'm sure that the trans not shifting right has a lot to do with the poor mileage. Not to mention the 4.10s in the rear.

Update on the tps and tach sensor checks. Getting .04 volts dc coming in so as someone suggested I don't think the tcm is getting power. Assuming tach sensor is a hall effect switch I checked for ac voltage at idle and had a little over 1 vac and when throttle was advanced reading climbed to almost 3 vac. This tells me tach sensor should be ok and I'm leaning toward no power to tcm.

I gotta break down and spend some $ for an electrical schematic.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a 4spd with a transfercase already thinking a zf maybe.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to member willietwo I got the truck shifting right.

Kinda funny he give me info from a 91, I applied it to my 92, and it worked.

I recently found out that there was lots of changes between 91 & 92. The biggest change being the "modern" electrical system.

Still working on temp sensors and fuel shutoff sol on the IP. Still no power to the IP from the wiring harness, still having to jumper the FSS to make it run. Although I did wire in a switch in the dash to control the FSS and I'm happy to report I'm no longer using the jump pack to jumper the FSS.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found a blown fuse in the power distribution box on the left fender today and when checked it supplies power to the red/grn wire that should feed power to the IP. this is why i have no power to the IP from the key. somewhere in the glowplug harness this chain of wires is shorted out causing the fuse to blow. this wire feeds the high idle temp switch and the GP controler.

anyone every ran into a problem like this. blows fuse with or without the wires connected to everything.

i also done some testing and found that i can extend the wires for my eng temp and high idle switch and make those work as they should.

anyone got a clue where to look for the short.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found my short. It was the GP sol on top of the GP controler. So I ****** out the controler and sol and installed a constant duty sol and wired in a push button to control the GPs.

I found a few other problems that still need attn but that's gonna be par for the course of owning a 17 year old truck.

Got the oil and filter changed and tossed a new air filter in started the truck and was checking fluids and found I was a little low on coolant. Well I grab a jug and before I realized it I'd dumped a 1/2 gal of ATF in the radiator. Shut the truck off in a hurry and ****** the lower rad hose to drain it out. Got most of it out thankfully. Guess I'll be installing a coolant filter sooner than I had planned.