my truck the squirrel mobile

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the poop on my headlight and running light mod mod. Not really anything mod'ed in the light mods but I am moding the high idle mod. The nice trick is due to having changed my wiring harness I have a few spare pieces. I'm currently moding the power distribution block that I salvaged from the old wiring harness. It has several relays and fuses in it and I figured why not use it. So my light mod relays and high idle relay will be located there and fused there. As for the mod to the high idle well I figure rather than use a diode in the circuit use a no/nc relay and wire the high idle sol to the common terminal the harness to the norm closed terminal and the norm open terminal to b+. Then just trip the relay coil with a switch in the dash. This would eliminate the chance of diode failure and back feeding power in your harness. The power block just help keep everything nice and neat.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the PO stops buy the house today with registration papers for the squirrel mobile. Turns out I over looked the fact that the door jam sticker planly states that the squirrel mobile is a 92 model not a 93. So Ben I guess the 92 wiring harness is in a 92 not 93 squirrel mobile.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HELP

Ok so I got most of my harness worked out and I find a small hiccup. On either side of the IP tower is a sensor. On pass side a small sensor/sender with 2 terminals and on driver side a single terminal sensor/sender that looks like a normal oil pressure sender. Problem is with the change of the GP harness it appears that the donor truck had these sensor/senders flip flopped. Does both go into an oil galley if so I should be able to swapsides with the sensor/senders.
Also having issues getting power to the IP fuel sol. Anyone got a schematic of this circuit or which fuses/relays control it? I've done some continuity test on the fuel sol power wire and wire from IP to connector on left fender is good but no power at that wire in the connector. Any help here would be most helpful.
Thanks in advance.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of the sensor/senders

In this pic is the two terminal sender at the tip of my finger

You must be registered for see images attach

and in this one the single terminal sender

You must be registered for see images attach

can i swap sides with these two or am i gonna need to extend the wires :dunno

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first pic is your temp sender for the high idle and cold start advance, the other I believe is the temp sender for the high engine temp light. They are in the same location for all trucks and I dont know why the harness would be different??? You cannot just switch them around.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If these are both water temperature sensors, then what would it matter which side of the block they are on? Both sensors are mounted to the top of the block in what would appear to be the same water jacket.

My 83 6.9l does not have single terminal sensor on the driver side of the engine, but has dual terminal sensor on the passenger side.

What would be a major reason for not swapping sides with these 2 sensors? :dunno

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so still haven't changed the sensors but I couldn't take it any longer. Wired the fuel sol to a switch and took the squirrel mobile for a ride. Well actually 2 or 3. Went 2 miles to the main intersection then returned home. Done this twice and then took micah, my son, about a mile down the road and back. Found a few more things to fix. Tach is inop. Needs front brakes. E40D not shifting right. And I refuse to hook up GPs until I get the autolites out of it.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also its making the 10 mile trip one way to take my happy backside to the shop in the morning. I figure it done about 10 miles tonight. So if I make it to the shop and have problems got a nice set of tools there to work with not the tiawan stuff I keep here at the house.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Ok so still haven't changed the sensors but I couldn't take it any longer. Wired the fuel sol to a switch and took the squirrel mobile for a ride. Well actually 2 or 3. Went 2 miles to the main intersection then returned home. Done this twice and then took micah, my son, about a mile down the road and back. Found a few more things to fix. Tach is inop. Needs front brakes. E40D not shifting right. And I refuse to hook up GPs until I get the autolites out of it.

Replace the tach sensor,or check the wires for damage. That should correct the tranny issues.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the tach sensor,or check the wires for damage. That should correct the tranny issues.

hey that a lot of help your offering up there. you sure you want to disclose that info.LOL

thanks i'll check the tach sensor and wires. :thumbsup:

is there a procedure for testing the tach sensor. volts? ohms? ??? :dunno

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 35 miles on the clock today. Having to baby it shifting sucks but I got to drive it today.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Black dawg

Reaction score
have you checked for power at the ecm, the tach runs through the ecm. pretty comon for the relay to go bad.