my truck the squirrel mobile

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to give a bit of history on the aquisition of my first IDI.
About a year and a half ago I bought a 750 v twin kawasaki at an impound auction total price $400. Then in may of this year I cleaned up a ladys rental property, about a day and a half worth of work and was paid with a 78 chevy 4x4 swb(a major bucket of rust).
Seeing as a HATE chevys I thought I'd just sell it for a few hundred. Fast forward to august. We bought a small farm and the neighbor had this supercab one ton ford sitting out behind his barn. I ask him about it and was told the squirrels had ate it up pretty bad and he had patched wires back together and the he let the truck sit for about 3 months and the squirrels destroyed the wiring under the hood. I told him I was interested in buying the truck but needed to sell my motorcycle and chevy first. Long story short I traded the bike and chevy for the squirrel mobile. Drug it home on a tow strap and backed it into my barn. A couple a days later I had cleaned out the "rats nest" and stash of pecans, yes I bought a pecan farm, and decided to try and fire the old girl off. I removed any trace of a harness to the engine and dropped in my boat starting batt put jumper cables from my cherokee to it and jumped the starter sol. She rolled over good so I thought why not jump the fuel sol and see if she'll fire off. She didin no more than 3-6 revs. I'm tickled pink that she runs. God only knows how old the diesel is that is in the tanks. Now I'm looking for a wiring harness and hope to have her on the road soon. Sorry for not posting pics having moved to the boonies there is not hi speed net out here other than satilite not paying that much so my blackberry gets me by for now. Will post picks when I get a chance at work.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No prob aaron. I'm still tryin to avoid paying $300 for one.

sootman73

Reaction score
i got one out of a 92 f250. 2wd with E4OD trans. just no wiring from the engine as we used that on another truck. but there isn't much wiring there anyway. plus the engine and the truck are really two seperate systems anyway. PM me.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got some real internet time with the laptop and a wifi connection and thought i'd add a pic of the Squirrel Mobile..

first is of the truck same as avitar only larger the next two are of the "rats nest" and then the nest removed. they even ate the connectors on the outside of the fire wall.

Attachments

• IMG00260[1].jpg
    IMG00260[1].jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG00265[1].jpg
    IMG00265[1].jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG00271[1].jpg
    IMG00271[1].jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 208

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow with a good scrub that truck will come out real nice !

After sitting at least a year if not longer under about 4 big pecan trees and behind a barn yep its filthy. I did clean the windows the other day the rest will have to wait til I can road it to a carwash. Not real ambitious about getting out the hose and getting all wet trying to wash it here on the farm.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sure it was squirrel's that did that? Mice have always been the big enemy around my place.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are over run with gray squirrels and they tend to tear up more stuff than red tailed squirrels so the neighbor and I both think squirrels but mice could be too.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think some forensics would lead you to the culprit. That and a mousetrap. :backoff

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Squirrels are the meeses evil twins.

I've got my kids trained on what a red squirrel sounds like and they're the let me know when one is encraching the homestead.

Red squirrels round these parts tear up the insides of a house in a hurry.-cuss

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No new damage after moving truck to my barn. Got mess cleaned up and the stock pile of pecans removed from the air cleaner. I think the problem is taken care of now

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I filled the radiator with coolant and fired the old girl up last night fire a little old skool test. Engine idling and crack injector line one at a time at the injector while listening for a change in the way the engine is running. Cracked the first injector and truck about died. Thought great I got a couple of cyl's down. But with each inj cracked I got the same result. This says to me either the engine is very balanced or all 8 cyl are weak. I guess a compression test is next on the list to verify cyl problems or not.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've got a good looking flatbed design if you want it, I can send you the plans sometime. It all depends what you want to use the bed for.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer pearl. Post some pics in this thread if you would. Let me get a look at it.