Arctic Ambulance

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been driving this to work for a few weeks now. It gets TERRIBLE mileage around town, about 7mpg. Is that what I should expect from a 10,000 pound box truck?

The drive to work is about 3 miles at 50mph, a stop and then cruise through town at 35, then about 4 miles at 55 to 60. The torque converter is locked most of the way except for the mile or two through town.

Coming back from Fairbanks we got 16mpg, but that was 100 miles at 55 with only a couple of stops.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been driving this to work for a few weeks now. It gets TERRIBLE mileage around town, about 7mpg. Is that what I should expect from a 10,000 pound box truck?

The drive to work is about 3 miles at 50mph, a stop and then cruise through town at 35, then about 4 miles at 55 to 60. The torque converter is locked most of the way except for the mile or two through town.

Coming back from Fairbanks we got 16mpg, but that was 100 miles at 55 with only a couple of stops.
That's some rediculous city MPGs at those speeds. I get 10mpgs highway towing a 4k trailer driving it like I have somewhere to be! In the quite hilly PNW.
Your cruising MPGs are good though. Hows your timing?

I can say that short trips aren't usually very good on our diesels, MPG wise. That could be a lot of it-- cold engine/rings not sealing well and by the time she's hot and ready you put her to sleep.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This rig uses duals, I think 215/80-16? I might be able to go to the 235/85-16 I have on the plow truck.
If you like to do so, you might need the 4x4 dually rims, the 235's might touch with the original set up.
and the 4x4 rims (originally) have a slightly different offset, so that the 235's (original mounting) doesn't touch.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll measure the offset on the van rims, and on the plow truck rims. The current van tires are in good shape, so that's a few years off.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got projector headlights from Vantage Optical. The old ones were hazy, and lousy.
Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After:
You must be registered for see images attach

I've also gotten a pickup instrument cluster and stuck the speedometer from it into the van cluster. That frees up the van speedo to be sent off for repair. I'll start working out the wiring changes that'll be required to make the pick up cluster and tach work in the van.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Those new headlights sure do look a lot nicer than the old ones. I'm not even considering the yellowing when I say that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@nelstomlinson have a link for the vendor? Can't find them

Edit, found it. Searching their site, no love for the bricknose. Obs forward only.
I guess you'll have to bite the bullet and go Aussie. Cheap? No. Worth it? It seems that way to me.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yeah, took me a minute but I remember where I found it here. Looks like obs solutions has more neat things I can't afford.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I haven't looked, but there may be some El Cheapo options out there. I learned about those for my Bull Noses. No longer than they lasted, they weren't worth even the cheap prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online