Aggressive unidentifiable shake.

Quinlan_C-E

Reaction score
No signs of any modifications whatsoever, perch for carrier bearing looks normal, trans looks original still has dual mass in it and everything truck only has 150 thousand miles on it too.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the off-chance you have a Dana 60 front axle you might be missing the steering shock. I recently was chasing a significant vibration that would kick in around 35-40 and it turned out to be the steering shock. $70 and 1hr later and problem fixed.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I hope its that simple of a fix, but just to toss it out there both my trucks are Dana 60 and dont have a steering shock

Quinlan_C-E

Reaction score
I believe it's a dana 50 ttb, no mounts for steering shock. When I first bought the truck I noticed one hub was not disengaging but that's been long replaced.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Nero, just curious what kind of tires you're running without a steering shock. I switched to mudders and the vibration greatly increased. New shocks, newer front leafs, tight kingpin axle, tight trackbar, new poly bushings in front shackles but still lotsa vibes without that little single steering shock. I even checked hubs and wheel bearings twice just to be sure it wasn't them.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@Nero, just curious what kind of tires you're running without a steering shock. I switched to mudders and the vibration greatly increased. New shocks, newer front leafs, tight kingpin axle, tight trackbar, new poly bushings in front shackles but still lotsa vibes without that little single steering shock. I even checked hubs and wheel bearings twice just to be sure it wasn't them.
On my old mans truck (1989 cclb) he is running Firestone Track forces, on my 1990 cclb I have primewells up front

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Man, that Sounds like Someone else I know off the forums....

Black dawg

Reaction score
Update: swapped the rear axle with an axle I found on marketplace and it fixed the vibration. Finally. Now just to fix the body since my brother ran it through a fence
Interesting. Did you happen to look at the pinion for runout? Was pinion angle different after the swap?

Quinlan_C-E

Reaction score
Never did check runout with a dial, just that the "new" one was noticeably tighter by hand. Pinion angle never changed though. Thank you all for the advice anyhow hopefully that's it for mechanical issues. I want to sell it now due to body damage though