1988 IDI Wheel -tire question

jamesj2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm working on my 1988 7.3 IDI that I've had for about 15 years. Its been a work truck but I'm taking it up a notch to a nice little truck for my son to learn to drive on. It has stock steel wheels on it, but they look small on the truck. I was thinking of upgrading to a modern, tough look. I'm thinking larger tires and wheels. I came across a set of late 70's 8 lug aluminum wheels that are 16.5" and 9.75" I thought I'd try to get maybe 35" tires on this on a stock diesel suspension. Would this work? If not, what is the best way to make it work? The rear looks pretty high, the front looks a little lower for some reason. Do I need a block in the front? I'm kind of a newbie although I've been a member here for years. I mostly read the engine related stuff to keep it running smoothly. I'm out of my depth with all the options for tires and wheels. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've an '88 and just run the stock size, think it's a 235/85/R16". You could go up to a 33" I think like a 305/85, from what I recall that's the biggest without needing to worry about tire rub on a stock suspension. If you want to do a lift suppose the skies the limit?
Way more guys on here know more about specifics.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm working on my 1988 7.3 IDI that I've had for about 15 years. Its been a work truck but I'm taking it up a notch to a nice little truck for my son to learn to drive on. It has stock steel wheels on it, but they look small on the truck. I was thinking of upgrading to a modern, tough look. I'm thinking larger tires and wheels. I came across a set of late 70's 8 lug aluminum wheels that are 16.5" and 9.75" I thought I'd try to get maybe 35" tires on this on a stock diesel suspension. Would this work? If not, what is the best way to make it work? The rear looks pretty high, the front looks a little lower for some reason. Do I need a block in the front? I'm kind of a newbie although I've been a member here for years. I mostly read the engine related stuff to keep it running smoothly. I'm out of my depth with all the options for tires and wheels. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
When I bought my truck it had those 16.5 inch x 10 inch rims with 35 inch tires on it. It did look good and got a lot of comments. But it also had a 4 inch lift. If you do not want any rubbing with those tires, you will need a 4 inch lift. The lift also goes along with the "look".

But what is important, what someone else already mentioned, you can't get very many tire sizes with those 16.5 inch rims. That is why they are selling them. I had BF Goodrich tires and after years and years they finally started cracking. I sold the tires and the rims for $50 to same me from having to take them to the recycler.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
F250 or F350? 4WD or 2WD?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve come across many sets of cool 16.5” rims for cheap and came to the same conclusion as others: tires are unobtanium in that size.

I have an 89 f-250 with 18” rims and 35” tires, they do rub the leaf springs on full lock. I also think it sits too low without a lift kit. I’ll fix both of those issues someday, probably while I’m Dana 60 swapping it.

Here’s what my 89 f250 looks like with 35s and no lift:
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
16.5" rims require hard to get 16.5" tires.
That's one reason why I don't like the 16.5s.
Here's something that a lot of people don't think about. Our trucks use 9/16" wheel studs while the older ones (and lighter duty ones) use 1/2" wheel studs. One more thing to add to the mix is that our rims have a bigger center hole than older ones do. If those are aftermarket rims, then the center holes may be large enough. If they are factory, then most likely not.
All in all, I'd stay FAR away from those rims. In my opinion, they would be way too much trouble to try to use on your truck.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
One of the last remaining 'common' sizes was 37x12.50".... military take-offs. If that's a useful size for you and are still available - great. If not.... don't bother with 16.5".

jamesj2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll stay away from those rims. Rock Harvey, I think your truck looks great. So, is everyone saying I can run 35's on stock with no lift? I don't need the truck looking like bigfoot, just an aggressive look to it while still performing like a truck should (so I can get my son to do a little actual work!). BTW, it is a 2 wheel drive puller. So, I do want it to be able to pull a sold load as well. Thanks - James

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the fact that you can comb hell over and not find any size 16.5 tire; the beads of 16.5 tires are designed such that, as soon as they have no air pressure in them, they release their grip on the rim; and, there you set with a tire that you can't just air up and go.

So-called Aluminum, pot-metal, wheels are not very friendly at all with 16.5 tires and make for a lot of bead leaks.

If you want GOOD LOOKING big tires/wheels, you have to back up forty years and get 15-inch wheels and something like 14-35x15 or 15-38.5x15 or 17-40x15 or 18-44x15 BIAS tires; I don't like the look of these modern tire/wheel offerings at all, plus they are all radials and I hate radials.

jamesj2

Reaction score
Franklin2, what is your wheel size? I think that set up looks pretty good too. I like the old school chrome look of it and it would match the chrome bumpers and trim around the windows. I removed the fender trim. I don't think the truck needs those. I'm also playing around with replacing the mirrors for a smaller mirror. But the larger mirrors would be much better for towing I think.

jamesj2

Reaction score
I think i'm going to go with new springs in the front. Moog seems pretty affordable. Anyone have any thoughts on this brand and which springs would work for my IDI? I assume the IDI is heavier than a 8 cyl. Does that mean the springs have to be more stout?
Thanks-

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I think i'm going to go with new springs in the front. Moog seems pretty affordable. Anyone have any thoughts on this brand and which springs would work for my IDI? I assume the IDI is heavier than a 8 cyl. Does that mean the springs have to be more stout?
Thanks-

12 years ago, I bought new springs to put on a 78 Dodge 1 ton van. The new springs (probably moog) were noticably shorter. I ended up returning them and using the old ones after all. The way Dodge designed the front end, the springs had to come off to replace the shocks, so I thought it was a good idea to replace them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nighthawk14

Members online