1988 IDI Wheel -tire question

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I think i'm going to go with new springs in the front. Moog seems pretty affordable. Anyone have any thoughts on this brand and which springs would work for my IDI? I assume the IDI is heavier than a 8 cyl. Does that mean the springs have to be more stout?
Thanks-

The diesel probably needs stronger springs.

It's not going to be a slam-dunk-easy choice because of the beam suspension. You need to choose a spring that will give you an appropriate ride height for a good wheel alignment. There are camber bushings for correction, but can I only take it so far.

How much extra weight do routinely pack on the front of the truck? Heavy trailer tongue weights tend to unload the front suspension.

jamesj2

Reaction score
The diesel probably needs stronger springs.

It's not going to be a slam-dunk-easy choice because of the beam suspension. You need to choose a spring that will give you an appropriate ride height for a good wheel alignment. There are camber bushings for correction, but can I only take it so far.

How much extra weight do routinely pack on the front of the truck? Heavy trailer tongue weights tend to unload the front suspension.
not too heavy. gravel in the back, maybe a boat or trailer. I think this one is moving past its work life and going to be more for fun. Tailgaters, camping fun stuff. That being said, I think it needs to be good at hauling/towing, but it doesn't have to be great. What would you recommend? Thanks-

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 86, I installed a set of Air bags, The rear springs are a little tired.
Put the car Trailer on the hitch, and her rear end is a bit saggy.
Came across this YT Video on installing a set of Fire Stone bags.
Put about 15lbs in them and she rides pretty good.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hauled 18 loads of 3/4" and 1 1/2" Fractured rock and one load of Asphalt
grindings, 30 miles ea way. 1 1/2 yards ea. 3K LBS ea load. The load of
grindings think was 2 yards and probably 4K LBS. 3k the truck handled ok,
4K, that was past her limit but not going that heavy again.
But the Air bags made her very stable.

Didn`t add the bags to haul more weight but to keep her level.

Goat

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Franklin2, what is your wheel size? I think that set up looks pretty good too. I like the old school chrome look of it and it would match the chrome bumpers and trim around the windows. I removed the fender trim. I don't think the truck needs those. I'm also playing around with replacing the mirrors for a smaller mirror. But the larger mirrors would be much better for towing I think.
That's the old 16.5 rims with the 35's. I think they were 10 inches wide.

I will warn you, if you are going to tow or haul, the larger tires will really kill your towing power. It will tow, I towed and hauled with those 35's when it had a c6 and also when I swapped in a zf. But when I got rid of the 16.5's and went to 16 inch rims, I stepped down to almost 32 inch tire. Totally different truck when towing and hauling.

A side benefit, the shorter tires brought the trailer hitch down, and also brought the whole truck down so I could get it in my garage. The garage I have only has a 7ft high door and the truck would not fit with the 35's on it.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The old 9.50r16.5" was a common tire back then. It wasn't that tall a tire....maybe 31".

jamesj2

Reaction score
I just checked my door tag, Sping Code H for the front? A for the back, is that right? I googled spring code H with no luck. Anyone know what it means?

Attachments

• Door Tag - factory.jpg
    Door Tag - factory.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 4

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the rear springs; but, BEWARE if swapping front coil springs on these trucks.

My front axle snubbers were, and still are, about 1/4-inch from contact.

I decided on a pair of super-heavy-duty solve-all-your-problems raise-your-truck new front coils coming directly from Ford as an option or later add-on.

I spent what was to me an absolute fortune for the new springs and having them installed at the local Ford Garage.

It's not like I went to some big city joint where they grab your money and make you sit in some lounge while your vehicle disappears; I have known every man woman and child of the place all my life, else they wouldn't have been working on my truck.

I went to pick up the truck and one of the shop guys said "you are gonna be disappointed".

Those new front coils might be stouter and rated for more, but they did absolutely nothing toward getting the snubbers up off the axles; they didn't even raise the stance 1/16-inch.

My money would have been way better spent toward a good set of inside-the-coils air-bags.

jamesj2

Reaction score
I can't speak for the rear springs; but, BEWARE if swapping front coil springs on these trucks.

My front axle snubbers were, and still are, about 1/4-inch from contact.

I decided on a pair of super-heavy-duty solve-all-your-problems raise-your-truck new front coils coming directly from Ford as an option or later add-on.

I spent what was to me an absolute fortune for the new springs and having them installed at the local Ford Garage.

It's not like I went to some big city joint where they grab your money and make you sit in some lounge while your vehicle disappears; I have known every man woman and child of the place all my life, else they wouldn't have been working on my truck.

I went to pick up the truck and one of the shop guys said "you are gonna be disappointed".

Those new front coils might be stouter and rated for more, but they did absolutely nothing toward getting the snubbers up off the axles; they didn't even raise the stance 1/16-inch.

My money would have been way better spent toward a good set of inside-the-coils air-bags.

Wow, sorry about that. Were you going stock or did you try to go up one or two lengths of spring?