Vacuum Pump

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O'Reilly's still sell Cardone vacuum pumps but they are under new part numbers according to my local store. I had to replace my vacuum pump last month and they had to order a new pump under a new part number because the part number for my old pump was discontinued. They were still able to find my old pumps purchase record and confirm it was still under warranty. The manager said the warranty was for manufacture defects not normal wear and tear. My pump was 3 years old. However I only had to pay $25 for the price difference for the new pump compared to the old one.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
1. Does the "pod" from later model ('97 PSD) vac. pump really bolt up to the 7.3 IDI pump drive assembly?

2. If so, did (how) you manipulate the vacuum port to point the right way?
Yes it does. Here's my solution to your second question. I cut the elbow off of an old pod and used a piece of 3/8" fuel line to connect it to the PSD pod. This one also makes about 10-12" of vacuum. I carry it around for a spare since it will still make enough vacuum to stop the truck.

Attachments

• 102_4632.JPG
    102_4632.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 14

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it does. Here's my solution to your second question. I cut the elbow off of an old pod and used a piece of 3/8" fuel line to connect it to the PSD pod. This one also makes about 10-12" of vacuum. I carry it around for a spare since it will still make enough vacuum to stop the truck.
Much appreciated sir.

Maybe my gauge isn’t right (OTC). It’s reading almost 12”…good for one press of the pedal.

Maybe my method of brake application is flawed. I’m the “light engagement, release, engage again” fellow…12” doesn’t support that method.
The second press is a “no assist” scenario.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe my gauge isn’t right (OTC). It’s reading almost 12”…good for one press of the pedal.

Maybe my method of brake application is flawed. I’m the “light engagement, release, engage again” fellow…12” doesn’t support that method.
The second press is a “no assist” scenario.
Mine depends on how long I wait before pressing the pedal again. I usually just press once. I did say it's a spare. That means to be used in an emergency just until it can be replaced. Your gauge is probably fine. This particular pump would only build 16-16.5" even when new. I had to use it again last fall after it's replacement blasted a bearing out of the drive unit like seems to be the trend these days. The one that I'm running now is an old one that I've drug around for over 15 years. I dug it out of where I had hidden it, it seemed good. I installed it and it's been great so far.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O'Reilly's still sell Cardone vacuum pumps but they are under new part numbers according to my local store. I had to replace my vacuum pump last month and they had to order a new pump under a new part number because the part number for my old pump was discontinued. They were still able to find my old pumps purchase record and confirm it was still under warranty. The manager said the warranty was for manufacture defects not normal wear and tear. My pump was 3 years old. However I only had to pay $25 for the price difference for the new pump compared to the old one.
O’Reilly’s says that the part I’d disco.
They reported that they had contacted Standard, Cardone and Dorman…no go.
They agreed to refund my dollars.

I’m considering the idea of a canister, 12” is good for one press of the pedal…maybe I could get to 2 or 3.?.

It would be a temporary fix but the canister may serve as an emergency reservoir in the future.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
O’Reilly’s says that the part I’d disco.
They reported that they had contacted Standard, Cardone and Dorman…no go.
They agreed to refund my dollars.

I’m considering the idea of a canister, 12” is good for one press of the pedal…maybe I could get to 2 or 3.?.

It would be a temporary fix but the canister may serve as an emergency reservoir in the future.

The O'Reilly in Cedar City, UT ate the special order shipping because they didn't ever say it was gonna be extra, for a replacement Dorman in '22 when it was still available.

The O'Reilly in Kingman AZ just exchanged said Dorman that fell apart 6 months later in April '23 and not many miles for a Cardone they could get the following day. Still running that one now.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The O'Reilly in Cedar City, UT ate the special order shipping because they didn't ever say it was gonna be extra, for a replacement Dorman in '22 when it was still available.

The O'Reilly in Kingman AZ just exchanged said Dorman that fell apart 6 months later in April '23 and not many miles for a Cardone they could get the following day. Still running that one now.
The Cardone was the longest lasting replacement for me.
I’m currently seeking one.
Apparently, Standard has a part number too…I haven’t seen that one yet.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kicking this issue around me pea brain in another thread the other day I thought...
Why not rig a push pull cable for the vacuum module and 86 the chineezium vac. Pump?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The Cardone was the longest lasting replacement for me.
I’m currently seeking one.
Apparently, Standard has a part number too…I haven’t seen that one yet.

The Dorman one I got in 2017 lasted a long time. It turns out, it was still good when I exchanged it in '22 for the one that fell apart. So it lasted at least 5 years.

The problem turned out to be the vacuum line going to the c6 modulator came loose and was dangling. That's why the freshly rebuilt transmission was acting up and it had a lower vac reading.

I figured that out after it was still having problems with a new pump.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had two Dorman pumps. One came on my truck but had weak vacuum. So, I purchased another Dorman from RockAuto and it lasted a little over a year or so. Swapped the old one back on while I warrantied the pump from Rockauto but they stopped carrying it. I took the return money value and put it towards a Cardone pump with 3 year warranty. So far so good with the new pump (pulls 20+ vacuum). Long story short go with a pump that's easy to warranty and have a spare when it goes bad. Also pull the fill plug and make sure it's got oil in it when you first install. I've usually put gear 75w-90 sythetic gear oil in mine rather than motor oil. When I checked my Dorman pump it smelled like sulfur so I figured it was gear oil.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story short go with a pump that's easy to warranty and have a spare when it goes bad
I agree.
The problem right now, is finding a pump.
O’Reilly, Autozone, Napa and Advance all say that it’s disco.
Some show up on eBay…not my favorite option.
It’s looking like modifying a PSD pump is the way to go