Vacuum Pump

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm sure that you could use a brass elbow to modify one instead of using my method. I just used what I had laying around and showed mine as an example.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree.
The problem right now, is finding a pump.
O’Reilly, Autozone, Napa and Advance all say that it’s disco.
Some show up on eBay…not my favorite option.
It’s looking like modifying a PSD pump is the way to go
RockAuto has a few different brands. One Dorman pump is left for less than 50$ but only has a 30 day warranty. They have other brands at about 85-95$ it looks like. I'd go with the SMP pump, it's got the 36 month/36000 mile warranty. I think that's the one I ordered when the Dorman wasn't available

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Actually.....

I might actually have a Standard ome from O'Reilly. I can't remember for sure. You don't get to have the box when you do a warranty exchange because they want it to put the bad one in you're turning it in. And I was in a hurry to get it and install it in a shopping center parking lot nearby, since I was using my used spare one temporarily, so I didn't really think about it. I might have the exchange receipt around somewhere.

I did buy a Cardone one from Walmart and it died, a week after the 90 day return window. Walmart accepted the return anyway via chat support and paid for a return UPS shipping label.

Funnily enough, the one I returned the second time to O'Reilly was after the Cardone one went bad. I went through two pumps within about 7 months. Just really bad luck. Cardone from Walmart died and replacement Dorman from O'Reilly fell apart. I was trying to have two spares but gave up and only have one.

Whatever I got last from O'Reilly is still good.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
RockAuto has a few different brands. One Dorman pump is left for less than 50$ but only has a 30 day warranty. They have other brands at about 85-95$ it looks like. I'd go with the SMP pump, it's got the 36 month/36000 mile warranty. I think that's the one I ordered when the Dorman wasn't available

O'Reilly is expensive, $150 for the SMP one (I paid $120 in mid 2017 for Dorman) but I've gotten two free replacements for that from the lifetime warranty. But if you order online and can wait 3-7 days, you can watch for a 15-20% off promo code, usually shown at the very top of O'Reilly's website main page. You get the same lifetime warranty as buying in store.

I had to buy the pump at full retail price because it suddenly died in the F250 in the Texas panhandle and needed it the next day. Plus about $70 for a Napa pulley puller. Which has been used repeatedly for vac pump replacements... and for a Saginaw pump replacement. I think the puller has a lifetime warranty too but I've not had a problem with it, yet.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's another possibility. I don't know what direction the elbow points, but we can probably buy a vacuum pump for a 6.2 Chevy and use the pod on our drive units. If the elbow points the wrong direction, I'm sure that there's a work around for it. The early 6.2s did use a vacuum pump even with the hydroboost brakes. I don't remember on the later models and the 6.5s. My guess is they they were for cruise control, possibly for vacuum operated HVAC, and the TH400 transmissions. I know that some came with the 700R4, but not all of them.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vacuum sucks.
It`s always exciting when you have one pump on the Peddle,
then next push nothing to almost nothing.
Not always the Vac Pump, mine has usually been the Booster
leaking, or really sucking atmospheric pressure.

X2 on having a Vacuum Gauge.

Goat

12pilgrim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys recommend plumbing in a vacuum gauge and what model do you run?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not always the Vac Pump, mine has usually been the Booster
leaking, or really sucking atmospheric pressure.
For the last several years, I’ve had trouble finding a reliable pump.
Before that, the check valve, on the booster, was the most likely suspect.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, what part typically fails on the vacuum pumps? When I replaced the vac pump on my truck I'm pretty sure it was the original one, painted grey, with 300k and though weak it was still working/stopping things. I bought a Dorman about 8 years ago based on a member here saying the Dorman had the same casting marks as the Motorcraft units at that time and the pump has been solid since install. Is there any chance these premature failures are due to inadequate or wrong type of oil from factory? Worth removing factory fill and replacing it with something else?

And as a second thought, has anybody tried to add an electric vac pump to boost the overall vacuum? Could that cause a problem somehow?