Traveller Smurf (Cubey's '89 van)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Could that be partially blocked causing your restriction?

Doing a quick Google search, it looks like the 6.0 PS trans cooler is the “stacked manifold” type (wrong naming convention) and I hear those are harder to clean compared to the continuous tube type. So be careful buying used. I would hate to see you ruin your trans.

Yeah, I'm just thinking out loud.

I might just stick with the Amazon tube and fin one, since it's so big. This van doesn't have the vertical bars that limited the cooler size like the RV did. Not sure if they got removed or if it never had the. But due to that, I might have to use the plastic pokey mounts.

(Edit: I can see where the bars would be so I'm guessing they got removed when whoever was destroying the AC system)

(edit 2: I ordered the same cooler again with another return kit, to get over the free shipping threshold. The reason being, they added a 12% off coupon for the cooler that wasn't there yesterday. I requested an order cancellation on the first but it's pending. It's free returns even if they ship order #1 out, it just costs Amazon money for refusing to cancel. $5 is $5. I can wait one extra day for delivery.)

RV with the factory cooler for reference:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I dunno, I put a deep pan on the RV and I'm sure it probably helped.

In case you aren't aware, the factory A/C condenser is plumbed as the transmission cooler, done by a past owner.

So it already has a massive cooler, and even that isn't enough. Even on fairly flat highways of West Texas, where it's been 90-92 degrees, I had to stay at 55mph with OD off, to keep the transmission below 220.

Once the transmission gets past about 190, it has trouble keeping cool, and seems to only get hotter and hotter for the most part.

Engine cooling is fine, 190-200. And yes, the transmission appears to be plumbed into the radiator too, so it should be cooled from that. I don't know if it's going to the radiator first or the condenser-cooler, but I don't know if that would matter.

That's why I'm thinking about adding a second aux cooler, in addition to the condenser. It's simply not cooling well enough.

The huge RV with a C6 ran 195-210 with a deep pan and a decent sized Hayden cooler... so you'd think this thing would run cooler than that with E4OD and a condenser as a cooler... unless it's just not working as efficiently as a proper oil cooler?
Ditch the AC condenser. They are not designed for cooling tranny fluid.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Ditch the AC condenser. They are not designed for cooling tranny fluid.

Yep that's the plan. For what the tube/fin cooler I ordered lacks in efficiency vs stacked plate, it should make up for in size. I'm not towing 10k so it should do well for what I need.

I was driving 45-50mph across north Texas this afternoon to keep the AT around 200-210. I finally gave in to the heat and dropped $75 on a1950s-60s era roadside motel that allowed Lucy.

The single serve, in roof coffee maker is a nice touch, I will say. Has a fridge and microwave too. The tiniest bathroom you can imagine though. Someone very tall or very fat probably wouldn't be able to sit on the toilet and shut the door, most likely. It's just skinny me and I didn't try to close it. Makes no sense that it's that small.

But I got 45 miles beyond where I was considering stopping, so I only have 245 miles left to drive tomorrow. Only did 229 miles today but I got started a bit later (9:30ish) and I have to drive 55 max the entire way. Last 45 was at 45-50 with the hazard lights on so people wouldn't be surprised by me going so slow in a 75 zone.

I should be able to avoid most of the heat tomorrow if I get up early enough.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Probably not much worse than the old RV though. Speedwise anyway.

Well.. i usually drove the RV at 55-60 and it's EGT is what I had to really watch. Water too, in the mountains. It was a balancing act between the EGT and water. The C6 would run 180-210, depending, usually hanging around 195. It was easy to control though by slowing down, or downshifting on grades.

I only ever stopped once to let the RV cool down based on the transmission, and that was in 2022 when i bought the bug and was pulling it up the mountain from Phoenix towards Flagstaff.

And this van is running that hot without going up mountains. It's worse right now solely based on the transmission. So yeah, something isn't right cooling wise.

Gonna try to get going by 8am at the latest so I can haul butt at 60-65 before the weather temps start to rise. Once that does, I'll be back to 50-55mph for the last 50-100 miles depending on how early i leave and how far i get.

Last edited:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet but, is the torque converter locking up? If for some reason it isn't locking it would generate a lot more heat.

Don't know if it's your problem, just throwing something out that occurred to me.

James

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet but, is the torque converter locking up? If for some reason it isn't locking it would generate a lot more heat.

Don't know if it's your problem, just throwing something out that occurred to me.

James

feels like it is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online