Is this excessive play in the steering joints or not? '89 F-350 4x4

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a exploded view from the steering system? (the bars and joints) so that I have the original part numbers so search for the pieces?
1989 F-350 7.3D 4x4 dually Chassis-cab.
Ford parts are most likely obsolete.

Just look on rockauto.com. Theres a long and short tie-rod end. A long and short drag-link end. And a sleeve adjuster to connect each pair.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford parts are most likely obsolete.

Just look on rockauto.com. Theres a long and short tie-rod end. A long and short drag-link end. And a sleeve adjuster to connect each pair.
I did, and to make sure that they sent me the right parts, I thought to go from the original part numbers, to which the parts on RA refers to.
from what I can find on their site I find it confusing of which parts go together when they are in my garage, I hope you understand?
It is not the first time things don't go well together, even if you ordered them correctly.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me. I usually clock the joints closer so they can move freely but not twist. Also, I noticed your vacuum pump consistently making the "S-S-S-S" sound. Mine does this until it's created enough vacuum (5-10 seconds) in the vacuum system on startup. Are sure you don't have a leak?
That might be a good Idea, though I saw somewhere that there is a specification, which gives that there is a limit for how far they might be "clocked" probably because this system needs that movement of those bars???

Yes, that "S-S-S-S" sound I noticed and chased that already a long time, and couldn't locate it. so you think it might be the vacuum pump?
As far as I know I haven't a leak, but I might measure the system again, Thanks.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Bart F-350 If you pull the vacuum line off the manifold and stick you thumb over it while running it should make that noise and then slowly stop. If it continues it could be an issue with the pump but if it goes away it's probably a slow leak somewhere. Possibly the brake booster, cruise control circuit/cruise deactivation vacuum by brake pedal, HVAC controls, or the low vacuum sensor. Only takes one of those connections to break/leak to cause that issue.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, since nobody came up with a workable solution for me to get the original part numbers, I had very many problems to find the right parts at R***A*to.
I think I'm almost there, maybe someone can help me for the following?
I need the correct tie rod end adjusting sleeve (from the pitman arm to the inner left drag link according to RA terminology)
spec's as far as I could find: length 5,5", the link and tie rod end have a 1-18tpi clockwise tread.
That is for a '89 F-350 4WD chassis cab front axle OVER 4200#

(ford uses two of those sleeves on this set up, one clockwise, and one counterclockwise)

But due to the fact that RA is very inconsistent with the technical details (horribly bad!!! I couldn't find the right one.)

So, if someone knows which one I need, I can order my parts, they still need long enough for the trip to Europe.
Thanks.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Rockauto copies the terrible descriptions (verbatim) from the jobber's catalog. Don't shoot the messenger.

You want the 4wd/monobeam parts. The 4200# criteria is for RWD/2wd.

DS1068 and DS1071 says they are 1"-18tpi.

Then I suspect you need two each of the x3009x TRE and x2012x adjusting sleeves.

Note: I don't have an F350 any longer to 100% verify.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@You2slow,
as I wrote, from the pitman arm down, you have the tie rod with 1-18tpi clockwise, then the sleeve for this same thread, (and that is the problem, from those numbers I can't find one sleeve who has in it's description if it has Cw or CCw tread) and the straight bar with 1-18tpi (Cw) and the joint which goes into the hole which is in the bar going to the wheels.
That bar (from wheel to wheel) has a 1-18tpi Counter clockwise thread and accordingly the sleeve and tie rod end.
So, on my truck's assy there is one clockwise and one Counter Clockwise sleeve.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, I forgot, but at one of these sleeves which supposedly is intended for the 4WD, and the upper-outer tie rod (the one attached to the pitman arm) and you look at the "info" tab it says that it has Counter Clockwise thread, while it needs clockwise thread.
That makes I don't want to order it, thinking it's the wrong one?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The norm for adjusters is to have both LH and RH threads. Otherwise they don't live up to their name.

The short ends (x3009x) are RH. The two long pieces should be LH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online