Return line setup without original filter

Ruffnek7tree

Reaction score
Hello all, so when I got my truck, the original fuel filter head was gone, had gotten stolen out of the previous owners back yard.. so I got a couple of generic filter heads, mounted them on the frame, and tee'd the return off the ip into the rest of the return lines for the injectors..

Question being, anything wrong with this? I have read that the return on the original filter head had a small orifice in it to restrict it? Is this needed?

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, so when I got my truck, the original fuel filter head was gone, had gotten stolen out of the previous owners back yard.. so I got a couple of generic filter heads, mounted them on the frame, and tee'd the return off the ip into the rest of the return lines for the injectors..

Question being, anything wrong with this? I have read that the return on the original filter head had a small orifice in it to restrict it? Is this needed?
There’s a TSB to remove the return line to the filter anyways, so no you should be just fine. Are you having problems or just asking if you would have problems?

Ruffnek7tree

Reaction score
I don't think I have a problem, just sometimes on longer hills it seems like it wants to run out of fuel.. I have an edelbrock green e pump on the truck, seems to work well.. need to get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up..

More or less I was asking if I would have problems, thanks!

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think several others here have done what you've done, and I have the parts riding around in the back of the truck to do the same. Also, see Classic Diesel Designs fuel pump and filter kit.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a cute pump, I hadn't heard of one till you mentioned it. Even has 5/16" barbs. At 38 gph it will run out of flow in the higher RPM's. Don't take my word for it, get a gauge on there and see for yourself. With an N/A setup you might not notice it too much, but with a turbo and hotter IP you will likely be under 1psi at WOT.
I really like the return orifice, I also have a filter on the frame rail and added a small fuel manifold in the engine bay just to use that bleeder into the return system for air purging. I have 2 tanks and use them and don't always switch them early enough, so having the air purge is really nice. And yes the very small orifice will keep much more fuel going to the IP than to the return system.

FYI, the 38 gph is mostly for cooling the IP. It's bypasses a ton of fuel!

The easiest way to boost your fuel supply would be to just buy another one, and get some nice "Y" brass barbs and hook them up in parallel. That would double the flow but maintain the correct PSI. And the redundancy of two e-pumps means you'll always have a backup if one fails. Just a thought!

I have a Facet 40222 hooked up in parallel with a stock-style lift pump. The mechanical does a good job keeping up with my setup and the Facet is for priming and starting and a backup. It draws down to 0psi under WOT but it's good enough for a backup.

Ruffnek7tree

Reaction score
That's a cute pump, I hadn't heard of one till you mentioned it. Even has 5/16" barbs. At 38 gph it will run out of flow in the higher RPM's. Don't take my word for it, get a gauge on there and see for yourself. With an N/A setup you might not notice it too much, but with a turbo and hotter IP you will likely be under 1psi at WOT.
I really like the return orifice, I also have a filter on the frame rail and added a small fuel manifold in the engine bay just to use that bleeder into the return system for air purging. I have 2 tanks and use them and don't always switch them early enough, so having the air purge is really nice. And yes the very small orifice will keep much more fuel going to the IP than to the return system.

FYI, the 38 gph is mostly for cooling the IP. It's bypasses a ton of fuel!

The easiest way to boost your fuel supply would be to just buy another one, and get some nice "Y" brass barbs and hook them up in parallel. That would double the flow but maintain the correct PSI. And the redundancy of two e-pumps means you'll always have a backup if one fails. Just a thought!

I have a Facet 40222 hooked up in parallel with a stock-style lift pump. The mechanical does a good job keeping up with my setup and the Facet is for priming and starting and a backup. It draws down to 0psi under WOT but it's good enough for a backup.
It was more of a side of the road fix than anything lol.. I have been looking at doing a high pressure pump bypass setup when I throw the turbo setup on, thinking about a powerstroke pump resisted down to like 10v or something.. not sure yet completely lol