Oil Leaking Down Filter

Flyinb44

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry it took a bit but finally got the gauges wrapped up this evening. Looks like idle oil pressure is at between 35-40 psi. That’s with an auto meter electric sender unit mounted in the original oil pressure switch location.

Flyinb44

Reaction score

Temp got up to just shy of 180 and pressure settled. This is where I shut it down.

This is the amount of oil it leaked from running and getting up to temp at idle. The coolant is spillage from me swapping water temp sensors so no concern there.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow you weren't kidding about the leak. Mine leaks, but nothing like that, it is more of a slow seep. I can get it to stop by really cranking on the oil filter, but then I cant get it off. I broke two oil filter wrenches and barely got it off by driving a huge screwdriver through it, had to do that twice, because the first time it just twisted off the bottom of the filter. I have heard about trying to flatten the mating surface with a file. I would think that would be easier out of the truck than in it. also be very careful about keeping the whole surface flat.

Flyinb44

Reaction score
wow you weren't kidding about the leak. Mine leaks, but nothing like that, it is more of a slow seep. I can get it to stop by really cranking on the oil filter, but then I cant get it off. I broke two oil filter wrenches and barely got it off by driving a huge screwdriver through it, had to do that twice, because the first time it just twisted off the bottom of the filter. I have heard about trying to flatten the mating surface with a file. I would think that would be easier out of the truck than in it. also be very careful about keeping the whole surface flat.
Thank you. The interesting aspect to this is the truck was largely dry until I drove around Chicago through heavy construction areas with traffic and felt like I was taking it off jumps. I don’t know how that would cause this. The take off filter didn’t show any signs of damage. So I’d think the mating surface should be unchanged. I don’t consider the oil pressure numbers I saw last night to be overly high so I wouldn’t think it’s the regulator. I’m open to suggestions.

12pilgrim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb thoughts from a dumb guy:

Maybe you forgot to wet the rubber gasket on the filter with oil? Worst case, what about using a thin layer of rtv on the mating surface of the block before installing filter? Check the surface with a flat edge?

Flyinb44

Reaction score
Dumb thoughts from a dumb guy:

Maybe you forgot to wet the rubber gasket on the filter with oil? Worst case, what about using a thin layer of rtv on the mating surface of the block before installing filter? Check the surface with a flat edge?
I actually lubed the o ring with some light weight grease before installing. I haven’t checked the mating surface with a straight edge yet. I’d really like to not Cobb something together with RTV to make it work if I can avoid it.

Flyinb44

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with that. The old hot rodders adage is 10 PSI per 1000 RPM. I seriously doubt that your were seeing more than 5000 RPM.
Agree, I don't think that's out of the norm for a healthy motor. I think at 70 I'm turning 2600-2700 RPM with 4:10 gears and stock size tires. That being said, I ran it without the air filter on it when I was checking for leaks and was noticing a good amount of blow by coming up the CCV into the intake. Still leaves me wondering why oil is finding its way out of the oil filter. Wouldn't the internal oil filter bypass cover most over pressure issues anyways?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I ran it without the air filter on it when I was checking for leaks and was noticing a good amount of blow by coming up the CCV into the intake.
That's also normal for these engines. The were designed with a large ring gap so they do have a lot of blow by.