Intermittent violent engine shaking, possible misfire.

Stomper4x4

Reaction score
The Toyotas of the 80s and 90s seem to be well made but I won't ever drive another Toyota after owning a 1st gen Tundra--what a piece of garbage from grille to tailgate. There were at least 5 points where water would pour in to the extent that even trying to quickly wash the vehicle resulted in massive amounts of water in the cab, and none of the fixes were going to be easy. Almost every 1st gen owner I've spoken to had water leaks somewhere in the cab--no acceptable excuse for that failure from Toyota. Water would get behind the glovebox and reach some computer component where I would then find the fuel pump just running randomly--had to disconnect the battery cables when truck wasn't in use. You have to remove the exhaust or intake manifold to change the starter, tons of rattles and squeaks, less leg room in a king cab configuration than an '86 regular cab 'Yota with bench seat, and it's still not a full size truck despite what Toyota may claim. My '92 F250/F350 has ten times the build quality of a 2003 Tundra 4x4, but again, I do think the 80s and 90s small Toyotas were pretty well made for what they are.

Yeah mines a 92 4Runner. Bomb proof. In 17 years of ownership it's been maintenance, a rad fan bracket bearing, and an alternator and a CV boot. Even the door and window rubber, unlike your Tundra, is still like new.
340K miles. I recently drove it coast to coast and back too.

And please, no one take me as Ford bashing, Toyota and Ford are all I own. Big, ford. Small, Toyota.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think you were down on Fords but I think some of Toyota's reputation is more than a little BS. Once I started reading a lot on Toyota forums it seemed that many Toyotas were just as plagued with problems as other makes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty