Oil Cooler - Bolt leak??

JHolt55

Reaction score
Hey guys I just got done doing a reseal on my 7.3 idi, but after putting the engine back in the truck I noticed a weird oil leak. It's coming from the oil cooler rear head on one of the bolts. Here is a photo, I did confirm it's from that bolt only and both from above it or the oil filter.

Why is this leaking here? Does this bold need to be rtv or have thread sealer? I used the OEM style dorman gaskets when installing the oil cooler to the block.

Attachments

• 20240728_203542.jpg
    20240728_203542.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 16

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they require sealant but I've always reinstalled mine with the Right Stuff gasket maker on the threads.

Back that bolt out, clean it and the female threads with brake cleaner and reinstall with RTV.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gasket may have failed between the oil cooler passages and the bolt hole. RTV on the threads may not fix it.

JHolt55

Reaction score
I'll try cleaning and using rtv on the bolt, and if that fails looks like I get to redo the oil cooler gaskets. fun times for me

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I did not use any thread sealant when I rebuilt my oil cooler. Just paper gaskets held in place with Hi-Tack. I was amazed I managed to properly clock the two ends, keep the gaskets in place, support the assembly with one hand while blindly threading bolts, and not have any leaks--that was a long Saturday if I recall correctly.

JHolt55

Reaction score
I decided to just replace the gaskets and did the orings at the same time. Everything is good so far with no leaks. I do have a somewhat unrelated question. What could cause my oil dipstick to read incorrectly? I put in 11 quarts of oil (using FL1995 filter) and it says I'm still 2qt low. Could the new rtv from the oil pan be pushing the stick off course? I have it installed correctly with the holding bracket.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would assume that as log as the dipstick handle is flush with the tube that you're reaching the proper depth. It would need to be quite a deflection from a glob of RTV to read so shallow, I think. I do squeeze about 13 quarts in mine but the big blue Donaldson holds about 3 quarts.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Probably the gasket. Using Hi-tack seems to be the best way to hold em in place and its good at holding a seal even after disturbing the gaskets and moving them several times during install while wrestling the damn cooler into place. but sometimes, we mess up and it doesn't seal and we have to do it again. I've resealed dozens and dozens and every now and then, I gotta go back and do it again. if its not a bad leak, I usually wait till the next oil change when the filter is coming off anyways....or if I plan on dumping the coolant for something else. I try to kill a few birds with one stone if possible.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
11 qts of oil sounds about right with the FL-1995.
If the Dip Stick in all the way down, should be about
the right level on the stick.

I always fill the Filter before screwing it on, but that
shouldn`t have any effect on the level.

With the Oil Cooler, need to jack up the engine on one side
to slide the cooler in/out.
I put some stickum on the paper Gasket and stuck it to the
Cooler. Had my Wife help me, told her to get one bolt in and
thread it in by hand far as it would go. Same on my end.
Then put the rest in and tightened it down.

Goat