Leaking fuel tank selector valve?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And here's the one that was a direct swap. Time will tell.....
This one is the direct swap, and bolt hole`s in frame line up.
Fuel lines snap right one. and electrical connector plugs right in,
unless the old style plug is still there. As I remember it is
smaller/thinner. then change it to the S-544.
Which I had to do.

Where it is mounted behind the fuel tank is a P I T A to get to.
I moved mine forward, found a hole in the frame one hole lined
up with, angled it so the hoses lined up, and drilled one hole.
I may have had to lengthen a hose or 2, don`t remember.
If you do need to cut a plastic hose (fuel line) Dorman makes
quick connectors to splice the line.
I grabbed a bunch of 5/16" and 3/8" plastic line for splicing
From a couple trucks at PNP.
You do need a clean cut and smooth straight piece for a air tight
connection.

You can use 3/8 rubber fuel hose to slip over the 3/8 plastic line,
will be a tight fit, think I used some silicone spray to force it on.
If you use a hose clamp, DO NOT tighten down like with a metal
pipe or you can tweak/crush the plastic.

Iam just throwing this out there, do what you want.

The O`really`s $540 part is crazy pricy.

In the end when you get frustrated enough with this problamatic
FSV, you may just replace the rear 19 gal tank for the Spectra
F-26-E 38 Gallon tank, and run the supply to the engine, and return
back to same tank.

Goat

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The only thing missing is the mask and the gun.

Econoline IDI radiators from Napa are ~$1300. Half as much for a 3 row all aluminum from RockAuto.

RA is still twice as expensive vs CDD's 4 row. I'm guessing it's not hard to make a truck radiator fit van.

Last edited:

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Napa prices vary by the store location you have set.
Yeah definitely. I spend lots of money in my hometown’s Napa, it’s a bit lower than others. On top of that I get many large discounts for having spent many many thousands there. It’s probably similar in price for me to shop there as Rock Auto, cheaper than most any other parts stores in my area. But you can get stuff much faster through Napa, and as a result I frequently go there, adding to the money spending storm.

Napa in the bigger towns ~1hr away are significantly more expensive, also I haven’t spent a whole lot with them so I don’t get the discounts, Napa uses a franchise system so it’s more of a deal with the individual franchise than Napa themselves from what I have seen.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa uses a franchise system so it’s more of a deal with the individual franchise than Napa themselves from what I have seen.

I work for a municipality, but it's 36 miles from home. If I go to the Napa close to where I work I get a huge discount if I'm wearing my city uniform. The Napa by the house doesn't have that city in their system because of the distance but some of the clerks who see me often will use a different city instead to get me that particular city discount. The markup is incredible without the discount.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I keep AAA mid range plan for 100 mile tows to anywhere I choose for the VW bug, and that has a 10% Napa discount on some stuff. Fluids don't get the discount, nor do batteries. Better than nothing, if I really need a part immediately and only Napa is around.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me I wouldn't cut the soldered wires to switch them around. I would figure out which wires need to be where and unpin the connector to switch them.

James
I can't thank you enough for this suggestion! As per my usual self; I was about to do it the most difficult way possible. I bought a cheap pin out tool kit and it took longer for me to plug the connector back in than it did to change the pin configuration. Thank you!!! :hail

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't thank you enough for this suggestion! As per my usual self; I was about to do it the most difficult way possible. I bought a cheap pin out tool kit and it took longer for me to plug the connector back in than it did to change the pin configuration. Thank you!!! :hail
You are absolutely welcome. I have done a couple auto to manually conversions on 7.3 superdutys which require switching a couple of wires around in the pcm connector. Repinning the connector was the easiest and cleanest method I could come up with.

James

Rupert8

Reaction score
Napa:
You must be registered for see images attach
Yep, the pricing is bizarre. (And this still wouldn't be the right part, given the location of the connectors.)

As for the 38-gallon tank, I'm seriously tempted if this fuel selector valve goes south. Or perhaps before. I prefer that idea to the valves in the cab, to be honest. The current FSV seems like such a weak link.

So.... why did these trucks have two tanks, not one larger one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty

Members online