No start/crank

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they? Under normal starting conditions can we agree that you will see a voltage drop across the battery terminals when cranking? The question though is how much voltage drop is normal. That depends on many things and can change from time to time on the same system and still be normal. For example zero degree or 100 degree will produce a different voltage drop all else being the same yet would be considered normal.

With your method I agree you will see a voltage drop but what does it mean. Can you measure tenths of a volt drop and be certain that it is normal or a high resistance connection?

"So put your meter on the posts themselves on the battery. You will most likely get 12v. But, keep holding it on the posts while someone tries to start the truck. What did the voltage do then? If it dropped, the battery has a problem. If the voltage stayed high, then move the meter leads to the battery ends of the large wires. Probably 12v again, but keep holding it there while someone tries to crank the truck. If the voltage drops, you have a poor connection on one of the battery connections."

Maybe I have miss understood what you are trying to say and if so I do apologize. That to me says you are measuring across the battery post which will tell you resting battery voltage engine not running, or when at the other ends of cable really the same thing. When cranking you would be seeing voltage drop of complete system which may or may not be normal drops.

Off subject slightly, if all you see is 12v you may not get a crank condition as that battery is down to around 30% charge. 12.8 given accuracy of most voltmeters is charged voltage.
What we both can agree on, the starter needs some decent voltage to do it's job. To check this voltage you go from the starter + wire to the starter motor housing. That is where the rubber meets the road, that is what the starter see's as far as voltage. You should be able to test this voltage all the way up the line to the battery, during cranking.

ihc1470

Reaction score
Hopefully we can agree that it was great to hear the OP got going again.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLIMPICKENS73

Members online