Leaks after installing R&D Fuel Rails

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread to document my efforts to resolve my fuel leaks after installing the R&D IDI fuel rails.

I have a decent amount of fuel weeping when the truck is running. Not 100% sure where yet. Maybe I could try the UV fuel dye trick.

I don’t think it is an issue with the rails. Likely is an operator error as most of these problems are.

Stay tuned
You must be registered for see images attach

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread to document my efforts to resolve my fuel leaks after installing the R&D IDI fuel rails.

I have a decent amount of fuel weeping when the truck is running. Not 100% sure where yet. Maybe I could try the UV fuel dye trick.

I don’t think it is an issue with the rails. Likely is an operator error as most of these problems are.

Stay tuned
You must be registered for see images attach
These rails really suck, can be very frustrating and difficult to get them on without cutting up O rings, that was a good concept that I personally don’t think was all that well executed… I would not get them again, I put them on the 7.3 in my 86, but really they just don’t solve the problem they were supposed to…

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Stay tuned
What kind of lube does Justin recommend when installing? Or rather, what did you use?

An old user here and on FTE figured out that wheel bearing grease worked the best and he wasn't kidding. It's absolutely stellar, doesn't hurt the fuel any, and keeps the O-rings doing their thing for years to come, assuming you got the Viton ones. His username was @Macrobb but for some reason it's been deleted from the site.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These rails really suck, can be very frustrating and difficult to get them on without cutting up O rings, that was a good concept that I personally don’t think was all that well executed… I would not get them again, I put them on the 7.3 in my 86, but really they just don’t solve the problem they were supposed to…
They can be a bear to put on, maybe my problems are because of a botched install, I am not sure.

There is a gentleman on the Facebook idi group called Dreggs Diesel that has,
At least in the past, sold brass caps for about the same price. I think I’d prefer those over anything else for no other reason than an ease of install.

That said, these are eye catching.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of lube does Justin recommend when installing? Or rather, what did you use?

An old user here and on FTE figured out that wheel bearing grease worked the best and he wasn't kidding. It's absolutely stellar, doesn't hurt the fuel any, and keeps the O-rings doing their thing for years to come, assuming you got the Viton ones. His username was @Macrobb but for some reason it's been deleted from the site.
I used generous amounts of Vaseline. Wheel bearing grease might do the trick.