gas cans, do you think this guy is right?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean, this pales in comparison to....
True...it seems that the man struck a chord with us and got a bit of feedback that he did not plan on...

Remember...we here are Americans...and We are accustomed to speaking our minds...there is probably some disconnect with Our Ways and the culture that is prevalent 'across the pond'....

I have visited western europe and I can attest that what I say here has some merit...'they' have a different mindset than 'we' do....

Something that 'we' might tend to forget....

It is not bad, nor good, just different...

So...things like this that affect our daily lives are going to get some attention...good, bad, or indifferent...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am old enough to have pumped many a gallon of genuine leaded gasoline into a large-mouth GLASS pickle-dog jar for people's lawnmowers; they would take a sheet of newspaper and roll a funnel.

If you were lucky, you could get ahold of one of those thick brown glass jugs that had the smaller mouth and a big glass thumb ring at the mouth; if you were steady, you didn't need a funnel with those.

Some kind of agricultural poison came in those brown glass jugs.

We ran a full service station for years and years; we lived right behind it in an 8x32 mobile home; the 32 included the hitch/tongue.

I, myself, many times, have pedaled a bicycle down the road, pulling a push-mower behind me, and packing a gallon glass pickle-dog jar full of gasoline, on my way to mow somebody's yard.

In all those years, I never knew nor heard of anyone ever causing a catastrophe carrying real gasoline in glass jars; you only ever spilled some on you once, as it would take the hide off and leave big blisters; in contrast, this modern gas, you could take a bath in it and it not hurt you.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True...it seems that the man struck a chord with us and got a bit of feedback that he did not plan on...

Remember...we here are Americans...and We are accustomed to speaking our minds...there is probably some disconnect with Our Ways and the culture that is prevalent 'across the pond'....

I have visited western europe and I can attest that what I say here has some merit...'they' have a different mindset than 'we' do....

Something that 'we' might tend to forget....

It is not bad, nor good, just different...

So...things like this that affect our daily lives are going to get some attention...good, bad, or indifferent...
Hmm, valid point. I am a minimally traveled, ignorant American.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
If my "new" plastic garage sale gas cans don't have a vent hole then i make one.....I drill a small hole where it should be. Then I get a small green tree limb (twig) and whittle me a big, big toothpick looking stick that I stick in drilled small hole. (Green stick works better than a dry one)
I make my "Toothpick" long enough to stick in and plug hole as well as long enough to only stick out far enough to get ahold of and pull out when pouring gas or diesel. I've yet to have a stick break off & get lost inside can or had one break & spill fuel.

I hate & despise these new fancy "upgraded" cans that bubble, bubble, gurgle, gurgle, making noise yet barely pouring fuel or gas or that leak and get it on your feet or Carol's lawn!!!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
you only ever spilled some on you once, as it would take the hide off and leave big blisters; in contrast, this modern gas, you could take a bath in it and it not hurt you.

Eh? In the 1930s, a PSA film was made telling housewives not to "dry clean" with gasoline. Apparently that was a thing. Washing clothes in gasoline with your bare hands.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Eh? In the 1930s, a PSA film was made telling housewives not to "dry clean" with gasoline. Apparently that was a thing. Washing clothes in gasoline with your bare hands.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
In the 50's & 60's my mom cleaned dad's Sunday suits with Napatha (sp) then hung them out on the clothes line to dry & air out. 2-3 filling stations way up town sold napatha.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, anything that came back from the local dry-cleaners always smelled strongly like Kerosene.

If you were sent in there to pick something up, the smell was so strong as to make your head roar and your eyes burn.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the 50's & 60's my mom cleaned dad's Sunday suits with Napatha (sp) then hung them out on the clothes line to dry & air out. 2-3 filling stations way up town sold napatha.

The highly flammable tire/tube cleaning fluid used in preparation of applying a patch, sold under a dozen or more tire supply names by the route trucks that handle tire repair supplies, is 100% Naptha, available at Ace Hardware for about a third what it costs in the tire supply branded cans.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
is 100% Naptha, available at Ace Hardware for about a third what it costs in the tire supply branded cans.
Many, many hi dollar things are sold as hi-dollar super-dupper secret quality stuff that only THEY (mfg folks) know how to make, then sell to us.

You take 50/50 acetone & ATF (50% acetone & 50% ATF) works extremely well as a penetrant & works about as quick or quicker vs most store bought hi-dollar penetrants.
I keep a sealed can of 50/50 on the shelf.

Actually....hummmm...... well actually I mix up bout a gallon of my 50/50 mix. Then I pour up several smaller containers of it, then go round the shop, the garage, few out there under the trees & bushes, slip into the house & hide one in each bathroom.....(& hope & pray Carol don't find them!!!) place & stick some EVERYWHERE!!!!

That way my old woreout mind don't have to scratch my head wondering "Whur did I leave it, I just had it"!

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go round the shop, the garage, few out there under the trees & bushes, slip into the house & hide one in each bathroom.....(& hope & pray Carol don't find them!!!)
Hmm...

you know...one of the tell-tale signs of an acetfolic is you start hiding your bottles everywhere around the house....

...ask me how I know...wait...please don't ask...

But...unless it starts interfering with your home and social life...it is probably not worthy of an intervention....

We'll keep things on the down-low for ya....

Last edited:

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes a college education(which I don't have) to operate these new gas cans.
I do have, it doesn't help. They just don't work.

I bought some of the Wavian NATO style cans. They do work to store gas. They have the spring loaded nozzles, which don't work. I took the spring end off and slipped some clear vinyl tube over the exposed end, that kinda works. The cans still don't have a separate vent, but that lets them seal effectively, I can carry these in the back of the station wagon.