Cold timing advance problem

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hopefully the final update on this saga, or at least until I hear back from Russ on the diagnosis of the R&D injectors.

Installed Russ's injectors on Saturday, have been daily driving the truck since then. I also plugged the timing advance back in too.
Ever since, I've had a slight puff of black smoke on startup, no misfire, running rough or any of that, no violent shuddering when the timing advance turns off, it's a night and day difference.

Yesterday I did have a little white smoke as I was leaving home, but I'm going to chalk that up as I took off immediately after firing er up.

As for the injectors, Russ is really an all star. He worked with me to locally pick up my injectors so I could have them by the weekend, told him briefly what was going on with my R&D set, and he volunteered to call Justin to see what was going on. Justin is very busy, as per the usual, so he asked Russ if he could look at them. We definitely don't deserve how helpful those two are.

Edit, apparently P O O F is a bad word :smash:

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Nero, between those two dudes I'm sure they will figure it out. Lucky to have their support for our old oilburners. Selfishly Im curious what comes out of this as I have a set of stage ones on the shelf I ordered around the same time as you. Planning to install them on the new engine going in soon.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well I finally got an update from Russ.

His answer, was that I "need to get with Justin because he hasn't used those bodies in many years and these tips do not look like any he has ever built."

Not gonna lie, leaves a big sour taste in my mouth. Not only did I get these stage 1's genuinely from Justin, I sent them back to him to fix once already. So them not being 'recent bodies and Justin's designed nozzles' makes no sense to me.

So I guess I'm stuck waiting untIl I hear back from Justin. I guess its a good thing I already bought a second set of injectors, or I'd be down a truck for over a month now.

Highly frustrated.
Guess I'll go try to watch something to distract myself.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dare I say… Justin isn’t trying to pull the wool down, is he?

People talk about how great he is and what he’s doing for the IDI platform, I don’t disagree, I think his turbo systems have the most performance potential and he really seems to know what he’s doing… but some of his stuff seems better in concept. I’ve actually never been satisfied with his products, the very few that I’ve bought. And I understand he’s busy, but if a guy has a question sometimes he doesn’t answer in a friendly sort of way. Not to down the guy, but I really wonder if he’s… all he’s cracked up to be.

I understand that some things are difficult to perfect, I’m sure Justin has some wonderful products… but some do indeed leave a bad taste in one’s mouth.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ive found he is easier to get ahold of right as they open for the day, and he's always been super helpful with troubleshooting over the phone.

What is frustrating about this is Russ offered to look at them for Justin, and said he'd take care of them.

I waited three weeks before I finally sent him another email asking whats up, only to get the, I dunno, work it out with Justin email.

Just very disheartening to be taken care of very well only for a big poo to be dumped on me.

To elaborate, I've put less than 2000 miles on them, and they've been out of my truck since June.

Last edited:

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People talk about how great he is and what he’s doing for the IDI platform, I don’t disagree, I think his turbo systems have the most performance potential and he really seems to know what he’s doing… but some of his stuff seems better in concept. I’ve actually never been satisfied with his products, the very few that I’ve bought.

Besides injectors I wasn’t totally satisfied with the other products I purchased from him. I am pretty happy with the turbo I got from him but it didn’t come ceramic coated like advertised.

Also, he seems to have a lot of attitude and talks a lot of trash on other vendors like CDD. I don’t get what the beef is, but I’ve never heard CDD say anything negative about Justin.

I’ve never had a negative experience with CDD, and the IP I got from them hasn’t disappointed me. All I can say is that as a business, CDD is actually run way better and has products in stock.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
From what I've heard, CDD has been accused of copying designs from other vendors without permission, and doing some wonky stuff with their super big pumps. I dont know how much truth there is to it, but the only issue I've had with CDD was when I first purchased my turbo kit, the Y pipe was trash and leaking out the get go. I was told sorry can't do nothing... So I bought idioits pipe and washed my hands of it.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CDD has been known to copycat, but I think some of the Facebook pages blew it out of proportion.

It seems like with the big pumps and injectors, people have gotten burned.

My best customer service experiences definitely go to Hypermax, I wonder if they can do pumps…

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well I hate to say it, but we'll never truly know what was going on with my injectors. Long story short, someone lost them. So I made a post about it, and am moving on to the next chapter of my IDI shenanigans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online