gas cans, do you think this guy is right?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came up with this video, and I thought these "standard" red US gas cans were a catastrofe, certainly due to certain Californian laws, and now this guy almost declare the contrary, what do you think?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have one of these and it's good. I used it to refill the RV many times before I replaced the FSV, giving me a bit more range to get to cheaper diesel later. Very easy to fill a vehicle with it, due to the long, angled spout and the rippled finger grab spot underneath the black portion.

You must be registered for see images attach

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Bart F-350

First one I ever saw like that was in Georgia, June ‘20

Now they are everywhere, see plenty of them here in Kansas.

That style filling nozzle does work pretty well, add a vent to the back/top and it will be a pretty good gas can, especially when combined with a nice large funnel.

I have one that I keep in my service truck at all times, I keep gas in it for running engine driven water pumps, welders, etc.

The one I keep with me is a 2.5 gallon model.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At work we have all shapes sizes and kinds of plastic gas cans

This is the notorious American style fuel can nozzle, whomsoever came up with this design should be forced to drink near boiling water through that nozzle, pushed up against their teeth to hold it open for eternity. I have never come across such a frustrating ****-poor design. Useless.

This is a popular upgrade to the style at the top of this post, note the flexible hose-like nozzle, and the added vent. They should put that vent on all cans in my opinion, makes things much better.

They don’t sell cans with that style nozzle, must buy them separately from what I have seen.

The can I keep two stroke mixed gas/oil in is the flex nozzle style like that.

This style like you posted is in my opinion the best plastic can design.

These are a little better…

And you just can’t beat this. Very expensive, but also very very good. I have two of these that I keep diesel in, one of them has a removable nozzle assembly, and a bracket to store it in on top of the can near the back. I keep diesel in this style.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what do you think?
Using that with one gallon is tolerable...but try to put fuel into a skid steer out of a five gallon can with one of those miserable things is....miserable...

especially if you are standing on a ladder and balancing the jug and trying to hold the trigger and not fall off the ladder all at once...

I just take off the spout and use a funnel...and cut the dang ratchet-tab off as well...ahead of time...

I don't have time to fool with that ****...

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using that with one gallon is tolerable...but try to put fuel into a skid steer out of a five gallon can with one of those miserable things is....miserable...

especially if you are standing on a ladder and balancing the jug and trying to hold the trigger and not fall off the ladder all at once...

I just take off the spout and use a funnel...and cut the dang ratchet-tab off as well...ahead of time...

I don't have time to fool with that ****...
That is true, they are not pleasant for filling, vehicles or larger equipment, like old tractors, or skid steers. But I like them for smaller stuff with the gas tank on top, like a welder or water pump

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate most all of them. I grab the "banned" ones at garage saels.
But I do like this type. Especially for my boat. Stick the hose in and hold open the vent. And it stops flowing very quickly when you release the vent lever. I've never spilled a drop in the lake. Not cheap though.

Attachments

• 321819_1.png
    321819_1.png
    606.3 KB · Views: 6

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I like these. Square, hefty, and I actually use a larger hose to pour through so nothing is necked down.

And in a pinch, they will hold 6 gallons.

Buy once cry once. I have 3 of this kind and 4 of the self venting bubbling kind. While those work, the VP jugs are worth it.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I don't have time to fool with that ****..."

I am sorry about cutting loose like that but I was just remembering the last couple of times I had to top up my Darling Baby-Doll...(skid steer)...

Other than that...things are going fairly well....I feel very fortunate, lately.

Again...I did not mean to offend anyone, here...I value this forum...and everyone here...I have learned a wealth of info that I use every day...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those aggravating type someone called "American" in a post above. I watched a guy on youtube, he took the nozzle off the can, took the rubber gasket off the nozzle, slid the thing apart and took that spring out. Then he put it back together. I tried it, works much better without that heavy spring you have to push to get the fuel to flow.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes a college education(which I don't have) to operate these new gas cans. I have a fine collection of ancient gas cans that require a separate funnel. While I'm balanceing pouring gas in my tractor, my hand doesnt start quivering from exhaustion holding a button because my funnel is drinking it as fast as I can pour it and I have a vent that I can regulate the flow with. It's brilliant!!!

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a 275 gallon tank for off road (not in the truck I drive on the roads though) and for gasoline I use a steel boat gas tank (5 gallons) with one of those siphon hoses with the glass ball check valve. Shake the siphon hose to get the gas flowing and no gas in the mouth. At his point in my life I don't need the frustration of dealing with the new style gas cans.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thankfully we are so far behind you guy's law-wise , we still have the type where the nozzle is held in by the cap and a vent cap on the opposite side. I have used the cheap 12v pump ($8.50) for the 20 litre plastic square oil containers that get re-purposed into diesel/WTO containers.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
At his point in my life I don't need the frustration of dealing with the new style gas cans.
Neither does anyone else except for those "geniuses" who invent them. They should be sentenced to a lifetime of filling up their cars' gas tanks out of the one gallon cans that they come up with while having to walk over a mile one way to get to the closest gas station! Oh if only the punishment could fit the crime!