Dieselcraft Oil Centrifuge

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this in an article in Diesel Power. Has anyone used one of these? Expensive! I figured that it would take 180,000 miles to recoup the $599 price, but still curious. Is it any better than a Amsoil dual bypass system?

http://www.dieselcraft.com/

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I have one, but don't use it on the truck to clean oil. Used it for cleaning veg oil. I'd say it would work probably pretty well on a vehicle. It was kinda hit and miss when it came to getting a well balanced rotor though. Some where very noisy, others were very quiet. Once it gets full it will quit spinning and you'll have to clean it out obviously. I knew a guy that had one similar and he claimed it was junk and never worked... We opened it up and it was completely full of crude. Cleaned it out and it worked fine again.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone on here other than Eric has one, and it's in their F-series and it does filter engine oil. Now if I can only remember who that person is... Maybe he'll see this thread and chime in.

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ataylor,

Do some looking around if you are interested in doing something like that... I've found that dieselcraft is overpriced on the centrifuges that they offer. There are several other distributors that sell the exact same centrifuge built by the same company and all for nearly $150 less.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to work on some old Mack dump trucks that had a centrifuge for the oil, the cartridge was replaceable and not much money IIRC. just food for thought, that may be a more cost-effective route.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wanted to bump this thread up to the top-

I bought a C.F. through fryertofuel.com and it was a fraction of the Diselcraft price.

now I just need to find/ make time to fabricate some mounting brackets to install it.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that does seem like a decent price. I filter sooo much oil and a centrifuge would be a cleaner easier way of cleaning. .. . .

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pybyr, thanks for bumping the thread. What size centrifuge did you buy? Do you have to have an air pump to run these? I think I saw that an small air pump in included in the Dieselcraft kit. Thanks
Archie

Bob_T

Reaction score
pybyr, thanks for bumping the thread. What size centrifuge did you buy? Do you have to have an air pump to run these? I think I saw that an small air pump in included in the Dieselcraft kit. Thanks
Archie

I know this is a 5 year old thread but it's an interesting topic. About the air pump on the Dieselcraft kit, it's purpose is to assist the oil drain back to the crankcase. Not sure how the pump works exactly, I think it may put the drain under a few psi of positive pressure. The Dieselcraft guy explained to me that the pressure drain allows the oil drain line to be a small diameter and fit into an existing port on the engine. With normal gravity drain the centrifuge drain line has to be 3/4" or larger and drain into a large fitting, which usually has to be added somewhere on the engine.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you wanted to use a 'fuge for cleaning engine oil, I would pick one up from PABiodiesel and mount it high in the engine bay. Build a mount for it that incorporates a drain and let it gravity drain back to the oil pan. Much cheaper option.

They are also used on over the road trucks so you may be able to find one in a heavy truck/equipment salvage yard.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
If you wanted to use a 'fuge for cleaning engine oil, I would pick one up from PABiodiesel and mount it high in the engine bay. Build a mount for it that incorporates a drain and let it gravity drain back to the oil pan. Much cheaper option.

They are also used on over the road trucks so you may be able to find one in a heavy truck/equipment salvage yard.

In the shop I have a PABiodiesel centrifuge setup for cleaning WMO that uses a Chevette PS pump to supply pressure because PAB recommends 90psi to spin it at the proper speed.. I don't know about you guys oil pumps, but mine only makes 40psi running down the road, so no way could I use one in a mobile application.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing I use except I use a PS pump from a Ford focus...

True they say 90psi for best performance, however, it starts to spin up around 30psi so running down the highway at 40-50psi, it will do some cleaning.

They all work the same so not sure how the ones that are designed for use on a truck are different.

I know of a few people using ones they have found in junkyards for processing waste oil as well.

Bob_T

Reaction score
I don't think the ones on trucks are any different. They run at a lower oil pressure so they're less effective, but being a bypass filter they are continually processing engine oil over time and don't have to get it clean in one pass.

Bob_T

Reaction score

Much cheaper and simpler. From what I understand the problem is finding a place on the engine where you can make a big enough hole so the oil from the centrifuge will drain fast enough. Maybe a hole in the side of the pan, which isn't so simple. The air pump allows you to use the small existing 3/8"(?) oil return port near the oil filter which is evidently too much of a restriction for a gravity only drain. I think turbo'd engine owners can make a port on the compressor discharge side of the system and use that air to pressurize the centrifuge. Not sure how much air pressure or air flow is needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
countrypimp