Comprehensive list of must have tools

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of must have tools to keep in/with the IDI’s? Or a list of must haves for long distance travel?

I have:

Distilled water jugs and coolant
A jerry can with fresh diesel
A spare battery to run fuel pump
Spare mechanical fuel pump
Alligator clamps
5/8 box wrench
9/16 box wrench
Hammer
Needle nose pliers
Spare 3/8 fuel hose bundle
Spare voltage regulator
Spare starter solenoid
Spare glowplug solenoid
3/8 fuel injector clamps
Vice grips
Pry bar
Thread tape

What else do you all include

PFA
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Spare fuel return line caps.

But realistically the only failure I've had in 10 years is I had a hole develop in the suction line before the cam pump, and I had the clutch slave cylinder fall off.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ring clamps for heater hose and rad hose. I had a ring clamp fail on the lower rad hose and lost nearly all coolant.
Set of v-belts. If I'm far enough off the beaten path I carry a spare starter. Assorted bits of wire and terminals just in case. Spare return line kit. Fuel filter.
So far the only failure I've had that could be easily fixed roadside was a relay for my e-pump but that was easy to rewire.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A fully outfitted 12’ service bed behind the cab… ;Poke

But my 91 service truck hasn’t really given me any issues, glow plugs are just about the only thing I can think of. A tiny whiff of ether can be a temporary remedy.

I still haven’t found any glow plugs that can hold up… I have manual push button and ACDelco have lasted the longest for me so far.

I might try Motorcraft plugs and controller next… see if a computer is better at glow time than me.

My 94 dump truck has the factory system, works good for it, so I reckon I’ll try that. It’s the first IDI with a functional factory glow plug system that I’ve had. That 94 starts really good. It has 120k miles, my 91 has 58k kilometers…

My 86 had a few problems, mostly stemming from the stuff I hacked together when I swapped to 7.3

Didn’t give me much trouble when it was a 6.9 and T19, till the head gasket blew. Drove home just fine, sounded terrible at idle though. It never left me stranded in that original form.

Had some problems after I swapped to 7.3 and ZF5, mostly new parts being made out of absolute crap. Tons of starters, a couple of fuel pumps, some other stuff, and lots of clutches… so many clutches. It ended when the input shaft decided it no longer liked to party with the rest of the transmission, heard a loud bang and what sounded like an automatic transmission slipping. Wouldn’t accelerate anymore. Got out of the truck, tranny fluid everywhere. Cracked the front case and blew it apart. Damn my right foot…

After that I have decided to be done with that truck… lol it’s too hard on parts. Has lots of rust, and I really didn’t use it much after I bought the 91 service truck… and almost every time I did after that, it would break.

Life goes on. If something ain’t working worth a damn then I will move along without, I have no reason to keep on with it. Doesn’t make sense in any way that I can think of. Most of the parts can be used on my other trucks. Then the remains can be hauled off.

Sorry to steal the thread.

I carried a random assortment of tools with me in my 86 relatively similar to what @SkylabTech86IDI listed

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a thread a while back asking what tools people keep in their truck. Here was my answer:

Folding step stool to stand on
Spare V belts
Rope
Tire pressure gauge
Fuel hose/clamps
Cheap electric Fuel pump
Tire repair kit
Tire inflator
Bungie cords
Ratchet straps
Jumper cables
Harbor freight 130 piece Tool kit
Multimeter
Electrical wire
Electrical tape
Tire chock
Tire iron
Jack
Nitrile gloves
Tarp
Zip ties
Paper towels
Trash bags
Box cutter
Funnel
Lighter
Flashlight

One under-rated thing is a rolled up piece of cardboard. Very handy if you need to crawl under your truck when you’re not in work clothes!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Napa/Lisle pulley puller. Fits vac pump (at least for v-belt) and power steering pump (at least v-belt Saginaw).

Makes changing out the pulley pretty easy. Mine has been well worth it.

HFT sells a similar one now for less money too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I keep a 1/2" impact electric wrench in my vehicles all the time. Helps with tire changing, if needed, and any other heavy wrenching.

I had to use my old HFT one on the RV to charge the steering gearbox (pull the pitman arm) in Idaho in '21. Also used it to remove lug nuts a couple times. The big onan generator was so handy for that.

I need to invest in a cordless one now, I guess. I don't haul a generator anymore, but I do have solar.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We always have a roll of Paper Towels, couple small LED Flash Lights,
and keep a Dewalt 1/2" battery Impact to change a tire.
We blew the Heater Core late one night south of Sacramento. Good
thing I had a couple 6" VG`s to crimp off the hoses so we could truck on.
Since then installed 2 shut off valves on the Heater Hoses.

A bag of various size Fuses comes in handy.
A small HF Blue Tarp if ya need to crawl under the truck. Especially when
I need to throw on the Cables or Chains in the snow. (I don`t have 4x4).
I could see a spare Fuel Pump (Mechanical) or a Vacuum Pump.
Also a tow strap to pull your Butt back onto the road when ya forget to
throw on the Studded Tires or cables when Icy.....:Q

The blue mechanic gloves, 50 pack or what ever they are from HF, I buy
these at Wally World come in a 3 pack, and seem to wear like iron. use
them for everything. Some time I wear the blue one`s then these over
them. They have these in the store`s. Also use them when fueling up.
Keep some rags with you.
I have some of the large freezer bags I keep gloves in and rags under the
seat.

Edit: When Trump was in, these gloves were $2.88 a 3 pack.

From what I have seen posted on this forum in other threads and on other
Forums, almost need a small trailer in tow for all they want to pack along.
Almost comes to a spare engine....LOL

Goat

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDI specific - extra return cap kit, extra mechanical or electronic fuel pump, IP nut wrench, wrench for injection lines, extra fuel filter. Anything else you can grab at a local parts store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emsbau

Members online