Hydroboost Conversion

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve not done hydroboost on my ferd yet but my 84 square body has a hydro boost set up and will lock up the 40” boggers in a heart beat.

I’m sure the time to swap will be well worth it in the end.
I've found myself repeating "I believe" multiple times over the last couple weeks when ordering parts.
Aside from the original purchase of the axles, which was a really good bargain, it's probably going to be $6-$7k for the swap including wheels and tires if I'm lucky.
That said, there will only be family and friends inside, and if I didn't have the best brakes possible I'd never forgive myself if something happened that caused a crash just because I got too cheap to finish building it right.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The 94 has a serpentine belt, so eliminating the vacuum pump would be much more difficult… also a non AC, stripped down bare bones truck…

On my 95 I simply left the vacuum pump in place. Not sure it was doing anything after hydroboost swapping... was a 5spd, non-AC truck also.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's gonna hurt, but I'm probably going to go with a Sweeney or OBS Solutions kit.
No way the axle swap will be under $8k complete, but that includes full suspension, whole brake system, wheels, tires, and bearings.
The biggest problem is some vendors are 90 days out on shipping.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go figure, all it needs is a 3/4" pin relocation.
I like the fact the hydro unit could then be replaced anywhere with over the counter parts.
Of course I already fully reconditioned the donor brake/clutch assembly, and installed.
Oh well, guess it's not done right until the second time..lol
I'm guessing the actuator fits the same way, on the same side of the brake pedal?
Thank you!
You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The manager reluctantly honored my limited lifetime warranty since the pump was 3 years old.

They always want the date and location of the original purchase from me. I have the very faded (stupid thermal paper) original receipt. In the margins, I wrote down the barcode number and such for reference, for whenever it's totally faded. but they can see it in the computer. but calling ahead to order, I read off of the receipt. First replacement was after 5 years and a few months. Second was just shy of 6 years because replacement #1 fell apart.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since starting this thread last week I've been reading every write up I could find.
Now am procuring parts.
Had a rough time trying to get the OEM numbers to search, spent days weeding out worthless link after link, going several pages into Duck searches.
Then decided to give AI search a try.
Got this in under a second:

Based on the search results, here are the key points about hydro-boost systems for 1994-2003 Ford F450 trucks:
  1. Compatibility: The hydro-boost systems are compatible with Ford F250, F350, F450, and F550 Super Duty trucks from 1999-2004 model years.
  2. Part Numbers: Common part numbers include:
    • 52-7374
    • 1C3Z2005AA
    • 2C3Z2005BB
    • 5C7Z2005B
    • F81Z2005AA
So there you go, all the relevant part numbers for the hydro-boost unit.
Just grab one, paste into your search, and type hydro with it.
I found them everywhere.
Sheesh...

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing to add if you’re building yourself a kit with parts bought off rock auto: neither the hydroboost unit nor the new master cylinder come with the pushrod. The hydroboost instructions will tell you to re-use your pushrod from your old hydroboost, but if you’re upgrading from vacuum you won’t have one. I ended up buying a “universal hydroboost” pushrod kit from Amazon, which you have to grind down to fit because different hydroboost applications call for different pushrod lengths. It wasn’t hard to shorten the rod, just don’t get in a hurry and take too much off. Here’s the kit I bought (for 1989 f-superduty application)

Last edited:

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went and checked that out. Everything looked good but 2 parts need updated
"E5LY-3A697-A RESERVOIR ASY - to bolt onto my power steering pump. (This one has been discontinued)
E8TZ-2005-B BOOSTER ASY - the hydroboost unit. (and this one is coming up with a vacuum booster)"

Reactions: Clb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now to get a moderator to insert that information.
Or the op?

Brb

@FORDF250HDXLT

I aint seen him fer awhile.
@snicklas
Can you voodoo this in there?

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vacuum pod just opens/closes the door ?no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emsbau

Members online