Spinning Hub Stud

87F-250HD

Reaction score
I have a spinning lug stud on a 10.25 sterling full floating axle. I was aiming to take off the wheel to get a look at the drum brakes, but one of the studs started spinning when the lug was about 4/5 of the way off. It appears that the stud has become unseated and backed into the drum a bit - it is not sticking out as far as the others, and if I yank on it, the stud holds. But once I get a wrench on and apply any pressure it comes loose again.

Can I re-seat the stud by using some kind of puller? Or do I have to he-man it off and break the stud and then take off the axle hub etc so that I can replace the stud itself? I'd rather re-seat it somehow if that is possible.

Thanks for any ideas.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If it has spun I'm willing to bet that the teeth of the stud have worn down and may spin again, I'd plan on replacing it. They're cheap enough.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut the nut off (sawzall or cut wheel on a grinder), drive the old stud out and hope the hole in the axle/hub flange isn't fubared. You may have to weld it up and re-drill it.

Last edited:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with @Nero I don't think you will ever be able to get that 1 to hold. Hopefully it just spun the knurles off the stud and didn't enlarge the hole in the hub.

James

87F-250HD

Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions. I don’t mind replacing the stud, but it looks to me like there is not enough clearance to hammer a new stud into the hub, without taking the hub off. Just something I was hoping to avoid. I will see if I can fit a punch in to try to re-seat it also.

Is it going to damage anything important if I break off the stud with a socket and a cheater bar instead of cutting it? I’m not sure a sawzall or cut off blade would fit behind the lug nut.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Not sure about breaking off the stud, but as for seating a new one, put the lug nut on backwards with a washer or two on it, and tighten it by hand until it seats.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Have you tried re-seating the lug with a stud installer ??? -- I know Lisle makes one
This. Mine is branded Car Quest so I don't know who made it. They're worth their weight in gold for sure. Installing new wheel studs is SO easy with one. Even if all else fails, you can still install a new stud after you cut the old one off. No hammers for the install, no axle removal.

87F-250HD

Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't use a stud installer to re-seat the current stud because the lug nut is still attached to it, and I can't get the nut to spin. But it would help for re-installing if/when I can get this one out.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I would try if it were me is to cut the nut off the stud any way you can...cutoff tool with a small cut wheel, put a gouge in it and whack it larger inside with a big chisel...if you have a torch then heat the nut up good and then cut it in two with the cutting tip...something along those lines...I would not try to save the stud...I'll bet that the hole is enlarged anyway...

I would not recommend trying to break the stud by tightening the nut to the point of stud yield....the hub is a decent grade of alloyed cast iron and the stud is high-tensile steel....you run the risk of warping/distorting the hub and will have to get another one...

As far as saving the hub once you get it apart...If I could not or don't want to find another one then I would find a machine shop and bore the wallowed-out hole oversize and drive in a sleeve that will be a friction fit to the hub and the new stud...or...just weld in another stud...but you are welding steel to cast iron...kindy tricky...brazing might be better....

Hopefully, though...maybe....
Hopefully it just spun the knurles off the stud and didn't enlarge the hole in the hub.
one can hope...I am just figuring and planning for the worst....
If it has spun I'm willing to bet that the teeth of the stud have worn down and may spin again, I'd plan on replacing it. They're cheap enough.
I tend to agree with @Nero but I have not shopped for a replacement hub for mine, so I don't know...yet...
Unless you can heat treat it, you will warp the flange. Also drilling welds is difficult.
sage advice, here...
Cut the nut off (sawzall or cut wheel on a grinder), drive the old stud out and hope the hole in the axle/hub flange isn't fubared.
More sage advice...
Can you poke something skinny thru the brake adjuster hole and use it like a punch to seat the stud?
I never thought of that but I am going to stow this into my mental toolbox...this is a good idea...
Have you tried re-seating the lug with a stud installer ??? -- I know Lisle makes one
I like this idea too...more good ideas...
No hammers for the install, no axle removal.
Just thought of something...and it might be nutty...

How about jacking up that side so no oil runs out...undo the axle bolts and slide the whole assembly out and drill away the head of the stud from the back...?? then punch it forward...?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
To clarify I meant to replace the stud, not the wheel hub.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a angled nut splitter like this would solve your problem without damaging your rim or hub. The only other way I could think of would be to cut the stud flush with the top of the lug nut then center puch the stud and drill the stud out starting with 1/8th inch drill bit stepping up untill the drill bit cuts all the threads of the nut. There is a special tool for this called a Lug Ripper for this but it is expensive. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emsbau

Members online