Rebuilding a 7.3 IDI Turbo

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mahle offers a set of new head bolts for a much better price then an ARP stud kit, and they will get you to about 95% of the strength of studs.

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Just an alternative idea for studs... perhaps there's a higher strength off-the-shelf bolt available. Fastenal, etc.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an alternative idea for studs... perhaps there's a higher strength off-the-shelf bolt available. Fastenal, etc.
You can use gator studs for the IDI which are under $400. Reviews are mixed, I tested them on the engine in my bronco no issues so far.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The general rule is 20 PSI without studs. With your Factory set up, you'll be in no danger from too much boost. The bottom ends of these engine are very overbuilt. They can hold up to a lot of power just like they are. The biggest weak link is the N/A rods. Your Turbo rods will hold up to more power than 98+% of us will ever see. I wouldn't worry at all about the bottom end.
No there isn't a cheaper head stud option.
I always thought 15 was the max. That makes me feel better about the 16 my service truck can make, it isn’t studded.

If I ever have to have it that far apart, of course, then it’ll get studded. Doesn’t seem super likely to be any time soon, that truck has very few miles…

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mahle offers a set of new head bolts for a much better price and than an ARP stud kit, and they will get you to about 95% of the strength of studs.
Are these a better steel than OE head bolts?
You can use gator studs for the IDI which are under $400. Reviews are mixed, I tested them on the engine in my bronco no issues so far.
Wes @ www.classicdieseldesigns.com sells off-brand studs from back when ARP couldn't keep theirs in stock. He doesn't say but I'm sure they are the Gator brand.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cogitator
Lord...I didn't even know if that was a real word...but it is...dates back to at least 1830....

That is a good word...I am gonna hafta use it from.... time-to-time....

Back to the rebuild topic...I reckon I am going to have to source some of those Gator Studs....

Edit; again...when I look got gator studs...all I get is a bunch of john deere returns...how do I find these studs...?

I learn a lot of good stuff from you guys...

Thanks, Men...

Edit; I asked The Girl if she knew about that word and she said..."Of course.."

I am closer to not needing my encyclopedias...She knows more than I do...

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Or its a super smart computer in Warhammer

Sorry, nerd in me is leaking out

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Lord...I didn't even know if that was a real word...but it is...dates back to at least 1830....

That is a good word...I am gonna hafta use it from.... time-to-time....

Thanks, Man...
You're welcome. Actually it was the best teacher that I had in school who taught me that one and he said "cogitate". I extrapolated and used the "cogitator" version. I wasn't sure if it was a real word or nor. I just used it anyway and, what do you know? The heavy handed computer program that oversees this forum liked it, so I was pretty sure that it was a word.
Or its a super smart computer in Warhammer
Didn't know that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emsbau

Members online