Chronic repeated mouse/rat problem

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Mice and Rats are everywhere. Common out here in the Boonies of Nevada,
we gotem everywhere.
I have cut down their population a lot, but they multiply quickly.
You will never get the upper hand on them.
I probably get 100 or so every year, in the Garage, Big Shop (it has just barn doors)
and they just walk right in.
Even get them in the house every once in a while.

I use these traps, beast price I have come across. Ordered 4 box`s of them a while back.
Nice thing about these, the red part comes down on them, the other part of it, you then pull it back and give it a flip and toss the critter out in the Bush`s, never get you fingers near the critter. They have these in Rat Trap`s also.
I use peanut Butter, but something stickier like some candies will make them work harder
to dig it out and set the trap off.

We get the kangaroo rats out here, I pop them off with my 22 and Bird Shot out the kitchen window at night. They come up around the patio.
So far I have taken out 13 Ground Squirrels with my 410.
Last year got 35.

Goat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I use these traps, beast price I have come across. Ordered 4 box`s of them a while back.
Nice thing about these, the red part comes down on them, the other part of it, you then pull it back and give it a flip and toss the critter out in the Bush`s, never get you fingers near the critter. They have these in Rat Trap`s also.
I use peanut Butter, but something stickier like some candies will make them work harder
to dig it out and set the trap off.

The link doesn't work, that's for buy again. So it just shows me stuff I bought in the past.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I only bought 4 things, know I bought more than that.
Here id the link to the traps.

The 4th picture, look where the tongue catches the plate at the "RED V",
I whittle it back a little bit with a razor blade knife, so it still catches, but gives it kind of like a hair trigger.

Some time`s the little Mice don`t trip it and eat the Bait.
But over all they are better than the wood traps.

Goat

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Looks like I only bought 4 things, know I bought more than that.
Here id the link to the traps.

The 4th picture, look where the tongue catches the plate at the "RED V",
I whittle it back a little bit with a razor blade knife, so it still catches, but gives it kind of like a hair trigger.

Some time`s the little Mice don`t trip it and eat the Bait.
But over all they are better than the wood traps.

Goat

Thanks, that link worked.

The wooden ones work another 85% of the time, as in tripping like they should. I will keep those in mind, for sure. If I'm still catching mice in two weeks, I might consider those.

I found one of the used traps nearby today, dunno how the cat got the mouse out of it so minimal blood on the edge of it. Not gonna reuse, only a 50 cent trap. Walmart is cheap for them. The local ace hardware wants $2.50 for a 2 pack of the same exact traps. I didn't notice the ones you linked at Ace, but they had such a big selection too.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the old school " Victor " or another similar trap is "PIC". As long as you remove the carcass quickly are good for pretty much unlimited catches. I have some of the Victor traps that are more than 20 years old and still catching mice.

I have noticed the last 3 years have been really bad for mice. I have had more in the last 3 years than the previous around 15 years combined.

James

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this, I have heard it works well if you know it's not going to rain. People that have cars under roof say that if you leave the hoods open, they stay out from under the hood.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Try this, I have heard it works well if you know it's not going to rain. People that have cars under roof say that if you leave the hoods open, they stay out from under the hood.

With a van, I'm not so sure. They can hide back by the doghouse. I got some slightly peppermint scented mothballs with little cloth bags, being marketed as rodent repellent. I placed one just behind the empty AC compressor bracket where I can see and reach it easily.

I have 3 spring traps up on the radiator support too.

I got an LED rope light, which I'll place on the ground underneath, since supposedly that helps? Although, if they're already here, it might not.

I stashed one of the rodent mothballs in the bug down near the floor in the center of the back seat area, as well as two snap traps and the live trap on the driver side floor up front. (bare metal, no carpet)

The problem too, they're sneaky little devils, they're getting too good at getting the peanut butter and not setting off the traps. Maybe the younger ones aren't strong/heavy enough to set them off yet.

Needless to say, I'm trying everything.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
This is getting really annoying. It's cleaning the peanut butter off traps a few times a day. I keep checking and finding them cleaned off again. So, I set it off, rebait, and reset, hoping it'll go off next time.

Trying a new baiting tactic. Absolutely slathering on the peanut butter. Keep it on there as long as possible and having to move around to get it all.

You must be registered for see images attach

And all the traps on the driver side:

Two are under the hood too.

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have white footed mice on my property and they do not like the peppermint oil. I spray it all in the wheel wells and frame and throw a bag in a truck when it has to sit. Idk if you have ant traps in the van, but I recently had mice where I didn’t previously and it turned out that something in the ant trap bait/poison was very appealing to them.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have white footed mice on my property and they do not like the peppermint oil. I spray it all in the wheel wells and frame and throw a bag in a truck when it has to sit. Idk if you have ant traps in the van, but I recently had mice where I didn’t previously and it turned out that something in the ant trap bait/poison was very appealing to them.

No, I have no ant bait/traps in here.

Ace hardware has some sprays to repell rodents, but I'm not sure it'll help with an active infestation to spray the tires. Nobody else has said they have mice here, so it's probably just me.

The rodent repellent balls cost me nothing (Amazom vine) so I figured they'd be worth a try. i might put several around in there.

I also finally sealed around the too big hole I cut in the floor for the sink drain pipe. I don't know if that's how they were getting inside, but it's entirely possible.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is getting really annoying. It's cleaning the peanut butter off traps a few times a day. I keep checking and finding them cleaned off again. So, I set it off, rebait, and reset, hoping it'll go off next time.

Trying a new baiting tactic. Absolutely slathering on the peanut butter. Keep it on there as long as possible and having to move around to get it all.

next time you get peanut butter get chunky, then wedge one of the chunks in the trip piece. That way they really have to work at it to get it. That should set the trap off. I have caught some tiny mice using that method. I think only once or twice have I had it fail.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You are almost there. I found too that they would very lightly lick the trap clean. What I found works is always put two traps side by side. You are doing that but they are too far apart. It works well, they are there concentrating on getting the peanut butter out of the first trap, and they accidentally step on the trap next to it and it usually gets them.

I have also had scenes of chaos. They trip one trap, and the other trap is gone. You sometimes have to look for it, and 50% of the time the mouse is in the trap, the other 50% the trap got hooked on something and they pulled their leg or their tail out of it.

DougBoy66

Reaction score
I did have a 2014 toyota car that I could not keep mice out of. Finally figured out they were getting in through the cabin air filter. They would chew a hole in it and fill the air box with acorns. Turn out, an insurance claim guy told me, that the insulation on the wiring in newer cars is made from processing soybeans which is why they like to chew it. I know this is absolutely no help but I do understand your frustration. I know they make some electronic deterants but I am not sure how well they work