Engine stand

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy y’all, I just picked up a factory turbo idi motor as a spare/winter project. It has 150k on it and came out of a f350 dually rack body truck. The guy ran out of steam during a full cab of restoration. I also scored an auto trans with 58k on it from a 93 idi. That came out of a southern truck that was Cummins swapped.

So my plan is to reseal this motor over the winter and maybe do a swap next spring

My neighbor is going to come over and get the motor pulled out of my sprinter and I’m thinking I’ll build a rolling wooden dolly to set it on. Or should I just get an engine stand right off?

Are there any good plans for a fixed wooden stand?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Harbor freight HD stand holds these engines just fine. I resealed one on the stand no problem.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
One of mine is a crude cut-away of an engine cross member, welded to some truck frame. Doesn't allow for spinning however, but it's an example of something that it can sit on, other than a conventional stand. Doesn't allow for removal of the oil pan, unless you modify the section of crossmember to allow room for the pan to drop.

Attachments

• 20240311_142026.jpg
    20240311_142026.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 6

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I build them as I need them. I typically have 4 or 5 rolling around the shop at any given point in time. The first two images are of an older stand I stuck together using left over tubing and some cheap casters holding up a Ford 300. I have since been building them with 4" urethane casters that the local Wheeler Metals sells for a decent price. The last photo is of my 7.3 IDI parts motor on a cart (tucked under an in-process fixture table) I built using the the larger 4" casters that roll much nicer. I currently have my 7.3 IDI parts motor on one and a 351W on another, in addition to the 300. There may be another for an early Dodge Hemi up on the shelf yet....

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One of mine is a crude cut-away of an engine cross member, welded to some truck frame. Doesn't allow for spinning however, but it's an example of something that it can sit on, other than a conventional stand. Doesn't allow for removal of the oil pan, unless you modify the section of crossmember to allow room for the pan to drop.
I'm thinking of doing something similar with the frame of the Superduty I picked up a while back. I'm going to leave it long enough do that I can bolt an empty ZF5 case to the back of the engine and then bolt down the transmission mount. I'm not really sure why, but I feel like I want a stand to run an engine on for testing.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing something similar with the frame of the Superduty I picked up a while back. I'm going to leave it long enough do that I can bolt an empty ZF5 case to the back of the engine and then bolt down the transmission mount. I'm not really sure why, but I feel like I want a stand to run an engine on for testing.
It works good. Simple and cheap.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thread on Engine Stands.

Goat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crzyede