too hot

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
could there be a crack in the intake or exhaust port? the top radaitor hose should get stiff if the cap is on, that is the pressure building and the fluid flowing though. it makes me think the cylinder itself might not be leaking with what you have said.

if it just smokes when you top it off and the system pressurizes you should get a coolent system pressure gage like mentioned so you can check it and that the cap is working to the right pressure.

i dont know enough about the internals to suggest where it could be leaking like that, but i would be tempted to drive with the rad cap loose if you have to drive it. dont trust that factory gage though, put in a mechanical to see whats going on if you can.

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Update. I put a pressure tester on it and it read in the danager area within 10 secounds. Also I was going to drive it to my buddies shop and let him look at it. So I check the oil first before I started it, and it had water in it. Also the water was low, so I didn't drive it. I'm thinking I need head gaskets, or a cracked head, or a head problem.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yep that unfortunately confirms one of those three listed problems, sorry about your luck

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to try to figure out what cylinder(s) are moving water, might be as simple as pulling all of the glow plugs and pressurizing the cooling system to see (or hear) where your leak is coming from. It's pretty simple, and might give you some insight as to which head to remove and inspect closely if the gasket doesn't look toasted when you pull it.

Good luck

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I was torn between fixing it or going with a different truck. This truck has 170k on it 4speed, new tires, dually, long bed, gooseneck hitch, dual tanks, and wvo kit. I got the truck for $2500 and so far have put a ner rad, water pump, and the wrong stat on it. I don't think that I have a chance getting that money back out of it blowning smoke and I don't think I can replace it for that either. After reading up in it and finding this forum, I think I'm going to fix it and use it.

I plan to take it to a buddy that is good with diesels. Let him check the heads and replace if needed. Also I'm going to replace the head bolts with APR studs, and check all the injectors and glow plugs. Is there anything that I should know before going in? Which are the best studs and gasket? I don't think I will ever add a turbo, I just don't want this to happen agian.

Agian thanks for the help and info. This fourm has some great knowledge in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nighthawk14

Members online