So what did you do with your truck today?

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off? I think that you should erase that word and consider it to be theft prevention when it's in that unmarked position.
Do you think the kind of **** who steal trucks are gonna know what that does? I don’t. It’s possible though. And the wait to start thing. Let’s be honest, if you didn’t know much about them, it’d be pretty hard to steal an IDI… I keep my tool boxes locked, but I’m not really very worried about my truck… I lock it in town, fwiw.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the C6 bolted up to the box truck, was about to pour in the 12 quarts and realized there's a transmission oil filter, cooler, and lines connecting everything that also take some volume.
It's sitting at an angle, engine up, which is where the transmission quit.
Because of that I can't check the fluid until it actually self-propels to level ground.
The only known is the transmission with new torque converter is 12 quarts.
So I rigged up a line from a gallon jug of ATF to the filter side line, and presented a vacuum on the cooler line.
You must be registered for see images attach

Couldn't take a picture of the process as both hands were busy. The 3/8" fuel line to 1/4" clear line went into the jug, as I wanted to verify there was enough vacuum to lift the column of ATF, and hoped that would be enough to pull it through the filter and cooler.

It pulled about 1 3/4 quarts. If I was doing brakes or a clutch I would have kept going, as I didn't pull all the small bubbles out, and I'm pretty sure there's an air gap in there as I lost head pressure for a moment during the process.
That said, I'm confident there's enough for start up, and to move it 15' to a level area.
After spending over $700 on parts to do the rebuild myself, I wasn't about to take a chance of burning up the plates by cutting corners.
Used a Napa 1622 Gold filter, guessing about 1/2 quart there.
Probably won't have a chance to install the drive lines, change engine oil, and fix one of the dually flat's until Thursday.
Been sitting there for a year, will be nice to see the brown empty spot on the yard instead.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've certainly done more than most of us would have done. I think you're going to be fine once you get it going again.
It isn't a virtue.. it's a freaking sickness.
A disease of the mind that conjures up all manner of twisted breakdown and component failure potential scenarios.
If I'm not careful pretty soon I'll be out there pre-filtering new oil... just in case.. argh!

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owned this truck for about 10 years and embarrassed to say I've only driven it a couple thousand miles in that time. Was pretty dependable up until a couple years ago and since has been a chore to start. So...it's getting a new starter, oil change, fuel filter, reseal the return lines, new fuel pump and clean the CDR valve. New GP's a couple years ago but I'll test them, also Brake light has been coming on and I think it's a vacuum pump or hose issue since brakes fine but shifts late. EGR gauge doesn't work so I'll look into that at some point. Banks turbo that was actually installed by Banks in Cali in 1986.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Banks turbo that was actually installed by Banks in Cali in 1986.
That's VERY cool!
also Brake light has been coming on and I think it's a vacuum pump or hose issue since brakes fine but shifts late.
I would buy a vacuum gauge and install it so you can keep an eye on your vacuum pump. Especially since you're already suspicious of it.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brakes fine but shifts late
I would buy a vacuum gauge and install it so you can keep an eye on your vacuum pump. Especially since you're already suspicious of it.

I second that emotion...if you have the C-6 and have low vacuum consistently...not only will it shift late but will go into gear hard from 'P' to 'R' and 'P' to 'D'....that will bang things up internally...(same thing for 'N' to---)

Also...running low vacuum on a trans that uses a vacuum modulator will give you high main line pressure which will be rough on the pump, as well as everything else...

Back in the day I opened up a lot of transmissions that were motorhome units...and the extra load and having been floorboarded everywhere they go put wear on everything at 50K miles that I would only expect on a light truck at 100K miles.

What does that have to do with you..? Running around floorboarded causes the vacuum modulator to increase the internal main line pressure...just like in a motorhome. Running low vacuum is essentially the same as running around with a heavy load...as far as the valvebody and pump knows....

If that truck was 'new-to-me' I would pull the vacuum line AT the modulator (engine NOT running) and see if any ATF leaks out...

And then check the vacuum that the modulator sees when the engine is running and when the throttle is swept...

I second the idea of installing a vacuum guage...that way you can get a handle on what is happening....

Just my .02

DougBoy66

Reaction score
Short story. When I was tightening up the transmission bolts the other day installing it, I broke the plastic sleeve on the shifter linkage between the bracket and shift lever. I think I can repair it but check the black hole of my wallet where you can click on "Buy it NOW!" and stuff magically appears at the house. I found the part. Actual FoMoCo part. Well, It has arrived! I hate to open it. Packaging looks like 5 miles of bad road. It's been moved about alot it appears. But it is vintage, almost officially antique
It has a date on it that I assume is when it was made.
. Don't think I am gonna open it just yet

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out to my truck Monday morning and wouldnt start. it would crank but no catch. my electric fuel pump had died. Even gave a few whacks for good measure but that didnt work either. so went inside and ordered a new one. then that night I got sick. so the pump came yesterday, but I was too sick to swap it out. Today I was feeling a little better so went out and swapped it out. I need to change some stuff on my filter and pump setup to make changing out the pump easier, but got it done. Now I am wiped put and ready to lay down.

I have some ideas on how to make my set up better so I am going to do some research on different pumps. I have a holley blue, but I am thinking of switching to one with more flow, which would mean a seperate return from the pressure regulator. I need to see what the 110cc pump from CCD needs for volume, I think @hacked89 has some posts on this stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty

Members online