So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I second the idea of installing a vacuum guage...that way you can get a handle on what is happening....
To be forewarned is to be forearmed! Someone a lot smarter than I am came up with that one.
I found the part. Actual FoMoCo part. Well, It has arrived! I hate to open it.
Don't you have a C6 transmission? Of so, I'm pretty sure that cable won't work on your truck. That cable wasn't even made until 1995.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip and info IDIBRONCO and XOLATEM. Once I get the truck running I will test with a manometer and look into a gauge. Wide range of prices out there...I hate to spend over $100 when a $20-30 gauge would do. What are you guys using?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I can repair it
I'd give it a shot on repairing....if you post a pic of the pieces we all can offer up our ideas on what to do....

It would be a good exercise in SHTF creativity....

I, myself am anxious to see what I could do to get it going again...

Short story....a buddy of mine has a 2003 Ford dually, 6.0 automatic.

He torched the trans and somehow, the case was un-useable.

He bought a used case offa the internet and when it came in....the threaded bosses that held the manual-lever cable and bracket assy. were broke off as well....

Oh, crap, now what...??

I looked at it and said..."Let me try this..."

I didn't have a plasma cutter back then but a machinist buddy did...

I made a cardboard template and handed it over to the machinist...

He said..."OK"...and went and cut me out an adapter bracket...

There was still a couple of places to bolt up the cable...just not the factory configuration...a few drilled holes...a few welded-on nuts and 'WHAM'...

Buddy was back in business....

A lot of things are possible when you are confronted with a situation and you get your faculties and resources in order...that includes being a friend and having friends...

I want a crack at fixing that cable....

Without seeing it I am thinking about a cable clamp...and a small diameter threaded rod with a washer welded to one end and a bolt, flat washers, lock washer and two nuts...

cable clamp....

Edit; two cable clamps....

Last edited:

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you guys using?

This might work for testing....I have the 'tool truck' versions...but if I wanted to get a beater guage I would probably try this first...

This is what I would install in my truck...made in USA and has a reputation to uphold....

Just my .02

P.S. Here is another...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Went on another adventure.
You must be registered for see images attach

On another note, anyone ever had the intercooler top hat come loose causing a boost leak before? Gotta tighten that sucker down before I head home.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made my own out of a SS elbow and SS cone. Never loosened up that I can remember.
Is yours the CDD style intake hat? What do they use for a gasket? I'd like to source one someday for my setup.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It is the CDD hat, and I'm using the same gasket that the stock snail intake uses.

Edit,

Had a break in the rain, got only 1/4 turn out of the top hat bolt, so maybe it wasn't leaking. It may have been the elbow hose at the turbo outlet, looks like it slid a half inch off. Shame there's no barb there to hold the boot on. Just slid it back on for now should be good. I'll find out tomorrow.

Last edited:

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vacuum hose does not make for very good fuel line. Heat and diesel aren’t exactly that stuff’s ideal environment.

I was driving home from Manhattan.

I smelled raw fuel.
So I switched tanks.
The smell faded at first, then came back just as strong. I stopped in White City, and looked under my truck. There was fuel going everywhere.

Idling just fine. I just kept driving. Made it home no problem. Fuel still going everywhere till I shut it off. The hose to my fuel pressure gauge was vacuum line not fuel hose, it fell apart from the heat and the diesel. I put a piece of real fuel hose on, fired right up, no leaks.

But I put about 30 gallons of diesel on the road between Dwight and home. There is fuel on everything. Down both sides of my truck, down the underside, all over the engine and transmission. Fuel everywhere... guess I’ll have to wash it tomorrow.

Not one of my finer moments… but believe it or not, this is a mistake that I have learned from. Vacuum hose is not fuel hose. Ever…

Last edited:

12pilgrim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PFFFT! That's just to smooth out the ride. We all know how that works.
Random.. but wondering how much weight you guys would comfortably put in the bed for a couple hour trip? Looking at 1500-2000lb (45lb weight plates) and wondering how it'd handle that for a 3hr move.