So what did you do with your truck today?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was undecided which way to go when planning the engine/transmission swap.
Really wanted the PS power, but really like the IDI simplicity.
Then got a deal on a '90 donor that couldn't be beat.
I have both and they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I love the idi for its simplicity and great fuel economy, but it struggles with even pulling my empty trailer.

The 7.3 powerstroke is a very reliable towing machine, it will pull anything you can throw at it as long as you don't mind being the slowest thing on the road.

If I have anything heavy that needs to go long distance I prefer the 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7 for their insane towing abilities. They are all far less reliable though.

James

DougBoy66

Reaction score
I had to add a repair sleeve to the harmonic balancer. Thanks to one of you that posted that National reddit Sleeve part #
You must be registered for see images attach

Added several more drain holes to the new valley pan

I did clean off all the burrs and vacuumed air blasted and magnet to make sure all shaving were gone. It's starting to come together. Can't miss it lol

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Post the number here too for future reference?

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to add a repair sleeve to the harmonic balancer. Thanks to one of you that posted that National reddit Sleeve part #
Added several more drain holes to the new valley pan
I did clean off all the burrs and vacuumed air blasted and magnet to make sure all shaving were gone. It's starting to come together. Can't miss it lol
Is that rattle-can paint?
Looks nice.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both and they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I love the idi for its simplicity and great fuel economy, but it struggles with even pulling my empty trailer.

The 7.3 powerstroke is a very reliable towing machine, it will pull anything you can throw at it as long as you don't mind being the slowest thing on the road.

If I have anything heavy that needs to go long distance I prefer the 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7 for their insane towing abilities. They are all far less reliable though.

James
I added a CDD rebuilt 088 with a Garett fan, stage 1 injectors, and a fresh 110cc ip to the engine with a full reseal.
Hoping to see around 300hp/700t.
Thinking the zf542 will help a lot with both the low 3 gears and not loosing any power through a AT.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I added a CDD rebuilt 088 with a Garett fan, stage 1 injectors, and a fresh 110cc ip to the engine with a full reseal.
Hoping to see around 300hp/700t.
That may take a bigger turbo to see those numbers. You'll be WAY over fueled, in my opinion, so you'd better watch those EGTs pretty closely.

klook

Reaction score
That is an impressive Bronco and engine build. I have never seen a Centurion Bronco that I know of......I like it.
I have no pics but I put a new fitting in place of the Schrader valve and ran a line to a pressure gauge to check on my fuel pressure under a load. I will have to post some pics of what I have done to this ambulance.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is but, unlike my usual impatient self, I actually took time to prep everything right and primered, color coat (Grabber Green) and cleared it.
I did the same, converted a HF portable garage into a paint booth with poles between ladders and bailing wire to hold parts.
Got some clear, but was concerned after reading the instructions that it's flammable.
Didn't know if some base ingredient would cause a fire even after dry.
Did OBS Ford blue for engine and light blue for accessory brackets and valve covers.
Seems to be holding OK for now, but without the clear coat to seal it's only a matter of time.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Funny you did it that way, I painted the jambs on my truck the same way, painted the outside panels in a spray booth, back when my old man worked at a body shop. Those harbor freight car ports work well for a lot of stuff.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may take a bigger turbo to see those numbers. You'll be WAY over fueled, in my opinion, so you'd better watch those EGTs pr

Funny you did it that way, I painted the jambs on my truck the same way, painted the outside panels in a spray booth, back when my old man worked at a body shop. Those harbor freight car ports work well for a lot of stuff.
Ordered a new top/sides piece for one I had that was around 5 years old. Broke it down and set up at a friends place where the donor was sitting on jack stands.
Put plywood on the floor, and reinforced the sides with some panels that were laying around.

The put a LED strip light, bug zapper, and diesel heater in, and worked through the winter in snow, hail, and freezing rain.
The heater was a flame thrower, but the HF canopy kept me dry and mostly warm.

Turned it into a spray booth
Then picked the engine after I was done right from the stand with a tow truck boom to drop in the truck.

Spent many long nights out there.
Was money well spent.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a new top/sides piece for one I had that was around 5 years old. Broke it down and set up at a friends place where the donor was sitting on jack stands.
Put plywood on the floor, and reinforced the sides with some panels that were laying around.

The put a LED strip light, bug zapper, and diesel heater in, and worked through the winter in snow, hail, and freezing rain.
The heater was a flame thrower, but the HF canopy kept me dry and mostly warm.

Turned it into a spray booth
Then picked the engine after I was done right from the stand with a tow truck boom to drop in the truck.

Spent many long nights out there.
Was money well spent.
How difficult was it to breathe and to see when you were spraying? Did you do something to accommodate that the pictures don't show?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty