So I loaned the truck. .. .

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 34 year old son said he found a free case 580CK Backhoe. I gave him the keys to the White '94 7.3 idiT CC Dually. I said "Go have fun". Finances have been snug and no Haggerty insurance.

He called me.
Oops.
Apparently the free machine had no brakes. He became acutely aware of this as it ran into the tail gate. Kiss goodbye the $4K paint job, the $1K Line-X spray in bed liner, both tail lights and not to mention the bed itself at roughly $500/$1000. So basically $6K. The white pearl paint job will be the next one. That should be about $6K by itself.
He did manage to locate an '89 7.3 idid with a turbo on it. (I don't believe Banks, the other one) It's 1.16 AM, This old man should be in bed and not going out to look. No start, ign ripped out, $1500 but it does have the hidden hitch as well as an exhaust Brake. Supposedly it might have a bad starter, i don't know and too many projects before I start that one.
I figure the exh brake and hitch are worth about $2-$2500K
That might pay for the second truck price but not the $6K in damages.
At my age, it should wind up going to him, just not tomorrow.
Another adventure in idi Land.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh dang, sorry to hear that man... No chance insurance could cover it?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck has liability only and the title would be branded after an insurance payout. I was intending on repainting it pearl at any rate so that leaves me replacing the bed. Picking up the Jake brake and the Hidden Hitch might make it a trade off in the loss category.

Just a lot more labor than I intended at this time. A whole bunch more.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Sounds to me like son should be helping pay for it. I borrowed my dads truck, closed the door and the back window shattered. No idea why, I didn't do anything to it, but I still paid for it. wasn't right to make my dad pay for it.

The passenger window mysteriously shattered on the F250 when I was driving down the highway in Wyoming. Turned around and went back to Laramie since I was just leaving there, and luckily the local junk yard had one. Glass shop helped me install it (they put the wing window back) and didn't charge me anything. They were too busy to do it all.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a datsun or some other japan car that I brought into the shop where I was working in the 80's...got out and shut the door with the window down and the glass shattered inside the door...surprised the heck outta me...

Went and told the manager and he worked it out with the car owner...never did find out the reason for the glass failure...

Fast forward twenty-or-so years later and a chevy blazer (full size) sat in the sun at my shop and the long back glass shattered mysteriously...

Some time later I had a guy weed-eating the grass and he flung a stone squarely into a mazda driver glass...I found one and replaced it...and then somehow managed to avoid most broken glass that was mysterious...

Just a few from vandalism...some people must have been raised without being taught any respect for other folks property...scofflaws...

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About a year after my dad bought his 2016 Mega Cab Dodge, the first truck he had stretched for a 9’ bed, on US 56 southwest of Larned, the driver’s window randomly shattered while driving down the road… didn’t even hit a bump…

Scared everyone and cut up both him and I, also tore up his seat headrest (I was sitting behind him)

He and I got to go to the hospital and get glass picked out of our faces for a couple hours… it was pretty bad…

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
About a year after my dad bought his 2016 Mega Cab Dodge, the first truck he had stretched for a 9’ bed, on US 56 southwest of Larned, the driver’s window randomly shattered while driving down the road… didn’t even hit a bump…

Scared everyone and cut up both him and I, also tore up his seat headrest (I was sitting behind him)

He and I got to go to the hospital and get glass picked out of our faces for a couple hours… it was pretty bad…

Ouch.

Thankfully Lucy wasn't injured when it happened on the F250. She was facing away from it, as she does usually. She was shaking (shivering) something awful though from the stress of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLIMPICKENS73