So I bought a '95 F450 Power stroke. . .

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought a '95 F450 Power stroke. 248K miles. 8 inch tall frame rails and 10 lug wheels make this a bit larger toy.Especially with a tilt flat bad that will get the sides replaced on. The ICP sensor was bad and while replacing that I also replaced he pigtail connector to it.
Steering box is worn out, shocks are dead, wheel bearings sorely need attention.
Overdrive (E4OD) kicks in and out excessively and currently the toy is at the trans shop.
I have enough to do without adding a trans rebuild to my misery.
** Injectors** This toy has a bit of an excessive oil consumption and one of the injectors cuts out when the truck warms up slightly. RiffRaff(?) diesel also sells steel injector cups versus brass. They even rent a tool to facilitate easier cup installation on an engine in the truck. Unless you have $400 to buy the two tools.
I believe I am going to replace all the injectors because I do not desire to open that can of worms again soon. Motorcraft glow plugs going in and that leaves injectors to replace.
With one of them dropping out when warm, I tend to consider them all to be soon at the same point of failure and don't desire to open this can again soon.
Injectors and cups is a new one on me. The other slight oddity is that occasionally the engine misfires cold and then runs better after a few seconds, then once the injectors gets up to temp, one of them drops out again. Possible oil leaking past injector seals/injector cup or other when cold?
Another week or so and this toy should be home again.
Any recommendations for injectors or other?
Thanks in advance.

The '94 CC Dually idi with the Eatons and Allison is going to get a flat bed installed.
I also have an '89 CC Dually that will retain the 8' box.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
When we did injectors on my old mans rv (2001 powerstroke e450] we just went to Northside Ford in Portland for them. $2200ish at the time, we bough them 7 years ago? Buddy of mine suggested going with genuine motorcraft ones as spinoff ones like to fail early. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but so far his rv still runs like a champ.

Got any photos of the flatbed you're using yet? Those fender flairs I got from ya are working great, finished my swap a while ago.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I bought a '95 F450 Power stroke. 248K miles. 8 inch tall frame rails and 10 lug wheels make this a bit larger toy.Especially with a tilt flat bad that will get the sides replaced on. The ICP sensor was bad and while replacing that I also replaced he pigtail connector to it.
Steering box is worn out, shocks are dead, wheel bearings sorely need attention.
Overdrive (E4OD) kicks in and out excessively and currently the toy is at the trans shop.
I have enough to do without adding a trans rebuild to my misery.
** Injectors** This toy has a bit of an excessive oil consumption and one of the injectors cuts out when the truck warms up slightly. RiffRaff(?) diesel also sells steel injector cups versus brass. They even rent a tool to facilitate easier cup installation on an engine in the truck. Unless you have $400 to buy the two tools.
I believe I am going to replace all the injectors because I do not desire to open that can of worms again soon. Motorcraft glow plugs going in and that leaves injectors to replace.
With one of them dropping out when warm, I tend to consider them all to be soon at the same point of failure and don't desire to open this can again soon.
Injectors and cups is a new one on me. The other slight oddity is that occasionally the engine misfires cold and then runs better after a few seconds, then once the injectors gets up to temp, one of them drops out again. Possible oil leaking past injector seals/injector cup or other when cold?
Another week or so and this toy should be home again.
Any recommendations for injectors or other?
Thanks in advance.
Rosewood Diesel is by my understanding one of the better rebuilders for 7.3 injectors. Engines with stock tuning, especially the 94-97 single shot injector Powerstrokes, actually run a little better with 180/30 injectors. No need to change the tuning, won’t burn too hot but gives you enough oomph.

Bolt on intercooler kits are available from Hypermax, Banks, and many others. Even with stock tuning and injectors the early PSDs ran hot enough that I think they really should have been intercooled. They aren’t too hot running stock, but towing with a tune and no intercooler makes for some nutty EGTs… 1400 degrees is not a good place to be… but with a Hydra set on 80hp over on a stock 96 and a driver who doesn’t reason with gauges, what would one expect…

I have been involved with replacing injectors on these three times, not too difficult. I’ve only been around replacing cups once, but I was installing new rear brake hardware and wheel studs while my friends did the cups, so I don’t know a whole lot on that. @Rdnck84_03 probably knows more than I do about the injector cups. They look different than what a Cat C10 engine uses, that’s the only time I’ve dealt with injector cups myself, and we have the special tool for that at work.

But from what you are saying, I don’t necessarily think that you need cups… new o rings yes, but you might not need cups. But it won’t hurt if you replace them.

I really would recommend at least renting the tools, but if you ever bought another PSD, might be better off to just buy them.
The '94 CC Dually idi with the Eatons and Allison is going to get a flat bed installed.
I also have an '89 CC Dually that will retain the 8' box.
Sweet!

Last edited:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a lot of 7.3 powerstrokes over the years but I have never had to touch an injector cup so I won't be of any help there.

On the injectors I will agree with @KansasIDI about rosewood diesel injectors. They actually offer a better warranty than brand new factory alliant. Rosewood reman has a 3yr and new alliant only has 2yr warranty.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty

Members online