HElP! I bought Jake_IN 7.3 with a dead cyl

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
I plan to try and re install the IP. I’d like to see if I can get it running decent in the truck it’s currently in. Once that’s accomplished I’ll yank it in preparation of dropping it into the rust free 92 it’s going into.

Of course If I can’t get things running correctly without pulling the top of the engine apart I’ll yank it and do that on an engine stand.

It’s been 100 here all week so I’ve not slithered my sweaty ass outside to fool with it. Probably find some time this weekend. It can’t sit long, to many rusty doners in the driveway atm. The wife’s gonna kill me I don’t make a few scrap runs. lol

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would set your expectations that this engine needs more machining than it’s worth. I hope it’s simple for you but I think Jake would have fixed it. Easy things you should do are turn it over by hand and feel for any mechanical piston/valve touching, compression test all cylinders and there is an easy way to check if an IDI is 180 out without taking everything apart. I wrote up how to do it here:
Post in thread 'Project Stress Test'
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/project-stress-test.93047/post-1141776

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
WIFE APPROVES of the purchase!!!

Well kinda, we’re have a Redneck Labor Day bash this weekend. She wants me to stage a photo backdrop. She said that rusty old red truck will look great a trash toter and some empty Budweiser cans to pitched on the ground. Hell I was made for this. Mint

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
Mullet madness

Attachments

• IMG_9138.jpeg
    IMG_9138.jpeg
    623.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4627.jpeg
    IMG_4627.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4612.jpeg
    IMG_4612.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
I would set your expectations that this engine needs more machining than it’s worth. I hope it’s simple for you but I think Jake would have fixed it. Easy things you should do are turn it over by hand and feel for any mechanical piston/valve touching, compression test all cylinders and there is an easy way to check if an IDI is 180 out without taking everything apart. I wrote up how to do it here:
Post in thread 'Project Stress Test'
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/project-stress-test.93047/post-1141776

Yea I didn’t really go in expecting an easy fix. With the current machine work and pile of extra parts, new tanks, radiator, diff cover and all the new stuff in the current engine I’m surly money ahead. Jake seems like a fair dude and the deals worked out well. I didn’t walk in expecting it to be something super simple. I’m not the kinda guy that walks into home runs. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online