1993 7.3IDI Turbo vs 1994 7.3 IDI Turbo

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
some dealers would install turbos and sell them as turbo idis but most of the time when someone refers to a factory turbo idi they are referring to those built by ford.
This is why I capitalize the "F" and the "T" in Factory Turbo. To me, it helps to tell the difference between the actual factory ones and the dealer installed ones. Not to mention the people who want to sell their "turbo diesel" trucks with, say, a 088 on the engine.

JFMac

Reaction score
if you already have a turbo IDI, why are you looking to get a new "brand" turbo set up, and not just upgrade the ATS turbo setup you have?

the 93 and early 94 year model trucks are the only ones that came with the ATS turbo set ups installed from ford, some dealers would install turbos and sell them as turbo idis but most of the time when someone refers to a factory turbo idi they are referring to those built by ford.

My 94 factory turbo idi has a build date of 11/93

Ive installed a wicked wheel II, upgraded the down pipe, and have the exhaust ceramic coated. Im not going to win any drag races, but I get from point A to Point B reliably
I have two significant leaks concerning the up pipe! The turbo seems fine, new injection pump and fuel injectors and lines two years ago, but Ford’s method to connect exhaust pipes leads to problems and the Y pipe is quite hard to locate for replacement. I have another option, but I guess I am looking at the idea of entering turbo exhaust system being new as a long term benefit.

JFMac

Reaction score
I agree with Kdo85. Since you already have a turbo, I think it would be a waste of money to buy another complete kit. The Factory Turbo/093 are WAY more upgradable than any other turbo kit out there. Plus you can buy a good upgrade for the same or less than the cost of a complete kit.
I understand that fully, it’s the exhaust leaks driving the issue here.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There's options. I know that someone was thinking about having insert sleeves made to fit where the up pipe goes into the turbo. There's also wastegate elimination kits sold by a couple of places.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All, urgent and desperate for knowledge. Not a great place to be.

After two calls to Banks, I am not sure if they do or do not know what they are talking about. I am looking at getting the sidewinder kit. They say it is great for 1993 IDI and IDI with Factory Turbo. I continue to tell them mine is not a Powerstroke just a 1994 IDI Factory Turbo (with truck manufacture dat of sept 1993.) what makes it worst he suggested I get a power pack and the one suggested is for a powerstroke ‍

So anyone that knows, is the 93 7.3L IDI Factory Turbo the same Engine as the 94 7.3L IDI with Factory Turbo?

Thanks for any accurate information in advance.
What are you looking for exactlyt. I have several upgrades for all the turbo setups and especially the factory one, if you have it, it is a great platform. Going with a banks is no gain as they are the same size internally.
There are solutions for the exhaust leaks.

Pm for details