Rear axle questions

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheel bearings went out on the rear axle of my 1992 F350 SRW, and roasted the axle and the hub. Had to torch the outer bearing race off, it was pretty much heat-welded to the spindle. So looks like I'm on the hunt for an axle. I have a few questions:

When did the VSS start being put on the rear diff?
Will an axle out of an F250 work? Will I need to change the driveshaft yoke?
Pretty sure mine is a 3.55 gear ratio. It runs about 2000 rpm at 70mph with a ZF5 transmission.

Thanks in advance.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know for sure what year the VSS was first installed, but my 89 had one. I think early on they were only used for ABS, and then starting in 92 they were used for the tach as well. I put an axle from a 97 F350 in my 89 F250, and I did have to get a special conversion U joint to connect to my existing driveshaft. The only other difference was the drum brake pistons, slightly larger on the F350. I’ll come back with the part number on that U joint.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a moog 459 u joint, other brands will have the same #. It’s a combination 1350 and 1330F u joint. The 1330F is a special Ford version of the 1330.

I also should say that I don’t know whether the differences between axles had to do with the year difference or the f250/f350 difference, so hopefully someone else can chime in about that.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Any SRW 10.25" with speed sensor should work. There is the semi-float version, that isn't rated as heavy (300/302 trucks). I think it's 93-94 or so the pinion and yoke are improved for more spline engagement.

Wheel cyls and shoe widths... put in what you want/need.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had a similar situation. My 1987 rear end was bent (open diff 3:55) from a previous owners accident. Found a 1993 axle with 4:10s, Trak-lok, long pinion) I ended up just taking the short pinion 3:55 gears/yoke out of the old axle and swapping them into the newer 1993. They're interchangable. I utilized the LSD as well. The long pinion is better for sure if you can use them. Beefier yoke and more spline engagement but the wrong gear set for me. Something like 1/4"-3/8" sticks out farther from the yokes with the long pinion. My short pinion and yoke were wobbled out pretty bad. I'll probably try and find a new short pinion yoke to see if that helps tighten the pinion up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Will an axle out of an F250 work?
As far as I know, it will.
Will I need to change the driveshaft yoke?
I'm not sure on that.
Pretty sure mine is a 3.55 gear ratio. It runs about 2000 rpm at 70mph with a ZF5 transmission
That sounds about right.
I have one out of a 1988 F250 that, I believe, is the 3.55 ratio. I was thinking about keeping it and putting it underneath my pickup box trailer so I could get by with one spare tire, but I could sell it too.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I have done some looking on car-part.com and it looks like salvage axles are available for anywhere from $250 or so on up..... I found one on marketplace for $325 too. Does that sound reasonable to you guys?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I have done some looking on car-part.com and it looks like salvage axles are available for anywhere from $250 or so on up..... I found one on marketplace for $325 too. Does that sound reasonable to you guys?
Yes, reasonable.

With time on my side, and lots of looking, $100-200 local deals usually turn up for me.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's worth it if it's already pulled, has your correct ratio, has a working LSD, decent brakes, and the sway bar. If it's open diff, junk brakes, it's salvage prices. Price goes down IMO when they say you have to bring your tools and pull it yourself. Sure it could be an easy job unless it's a rust bucket where every fastener needs heat and time.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found one out of a bricknose. Sounds like it's going to be free. The tag on the diff starts with 3L55 so is that gonna be a limited time slip? It's out of an F250 that's been laying on its side in the trees for what looks like 5+ years lol. I think my plan is to pop the cover and inspect, pop the hubs and probably reseal at minimum, maybe go through the brakes if I get ambitious. Should probably reseal the pinion too I suppose; any tips on that?

Pretty hard to beat free, but you know what they say: no such thing as a free lunch. Guess we'll find out.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Free is great until you have to pay to get rid of it. Pop the cover off, as long as there's no significant rust on the gears, send it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online