PS spool valve ID

zgrant231

Reaction score
Im looking for information on power steering spool valve pressure codes.
I have several PS paressure spool valves with from IDI F- series hosts and one from an E-series van.
my truck spool valves are marked D
van spool valve is marked E

valves seem to me pressed together. Does any body have info on the pressures of these valves?

Attachments

• IMG_20150718_223358_026.jpg
    IMG_20150718_223358_026.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 54

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I can't tell you the difference between the valves. What are you attempting to do?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OB.
Can't understand what your asking for.

What pressure are you trying to determine?

What pressure does it take to shift the valve?
If the valve is spring loaded on one side, then the pressure is determined by the spring tension.

What do you mean by.
Valves seemed to be pressed together

What PS unit do you have and on what truck or Van?

zgrant231

Reaction score
What are you attempting to do?
shim or swap valve to higher pressure to obtain easier steering wheel input.
ive shimme GM saginaw pumps with nice results, but as far as i know the ford valve is not able to come apart.

here is a picture showing the valve cut open
You must be registered for see images attach

What PS unit do you have and on what truck or Van
Im not sure the pump part number. The six ford pumps i have seem to be the same other than pully and pump resivor color. pumps are 87'-93 F-250/350 and one 92 E- van all are IDI hosts.
pumps look like this. plus a few hundred thousand miles of gime :sly

Can't understand what your asking for.
-what pressure are my D and E code valves? Im sure ford has a refrance chart for the pressures.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait till LCAM sees this post....... I believe he has played this game and can answer the question........

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford C2 pump bout all u can do is light stretch of spring...not really something to shim.

If u can psc may sell a better pump or saginaw that fits ford...iirc

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try shimming the large diameter spring a bit, it has to come off that little spud to start relieving pressure. IIRC. And where in PNW are you, I wanna pet the dog.!!

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but when I was in an auto program, the instructor said something about being able to change the 'mesh' of the gears in some steering boxes by adjusting this bolt/screw on the recirculating ball-type boxes, not sure what boxes and never done any dicking around on any, because I've never saw a reason to mess with it. APPARENTLY, adjusting that bolt was supposed to quicken the ration or some shyte. :dunno

Though, like I said, my memory says, and it's been over a decade, and I'm not sure which boxes he was referring to. :dunno

zgrant231

Reaction score
Another thought, if you want more fluid flow, why not overdrive your pump by like 5% ?
thanks andertusa, but im wanting hydraulic pressure, not volume. and the worm bearing tension, and the gear mesh is a whole nother ball game.

Try shimming the large diameter spring a bit
if a bit is good more is beter right? :sly

tried one washer .060" behind the spring, no difference.
Two washers now .120" shim and the longest spring. I swear it might steer easier on my "to the end of the driveway test" Im gona put a few hundred miles on it tomorrow and see.

where in PNW are you
Brookings, Typ4.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but when I was in an auto program, the instructor said something about being able to change the 'mesh' of the gears in some steering boxes by adjusting this bolt/screw on the recirculating ball-type boxes, not sure what boxes and never done any dicking around on any, because I've never saw a reason to mess with it. APPARENTLY, adjusting that bolt was supposed to quicken the ration or some shyte. :dunno

Though, like I said, my memory says, and it's been over a decade, and I'm not sure which boxes he was referring to. :dunno
FWIW, the adjustment screw on the steering gearbox doesn't do anything to change the steering ratio. It's meant to set the gear mesh...there's a procedure in the FSM on how to set the gear mesh so that it's tight enough that you don't have a bunch of slop in your steering without being so tight that the gears bind up. However, before messing with that, I would be looking at the steering shaft and the steering linkage ball joints for play...and, keep in mind that these gearboxes DO wear out, and needing to tighten the mesh up too much indicates a box that needs to be rebuilt.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the adjustment screw on the steering gearbox doesn't do anything to change the steering ratio. It's meant to set the gear mesh...there's a procedure in the FSM on how to set the gear mesh so that it's tight enough that you don't have a bunch of slop in your steering without being so tight that the gears bind up. However, before messing with that, I would be looking at the steering shaft and the steering linkage ball joints for play...and, keep in mind that these gearboxes DO wear out, and needing to tighten the mesh up too much indicates a box that needs to be rebuilt.

Like I was saying, I remembered him mentioning dicking with the box, but I couldn't really remember how it effected things as I've never done any dicking around with that stuff. :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty

Staff online