Oil change without removing oil filter

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I knew that I’d seen it on a sticker….somewhere!
Thank you.
From the factory, that sticker was on the oil fill spout for 83-86 6.9s. For the 87 6.9 and the 7.3s it was on the inspection cover that covers the IP to gear bolts (5/16" 12 point). It's right underneath the oil fill spout. That's on trucks. The vans, I'm not sure about them..

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the factory, that sticker was on the oil fill spout for 83-86 6.9s. For the 87 6.9 and the 7.3s it was on the inspection cover that covers the IP to gear bolts (5/16" 12 point). It's right underneath the oil fill spout. That's on trucks. The vans, I'm not sure about them..
I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen it on a valve cover too.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I sure won't argue with that one. I don't remember seeing one there, but I'm still not going to argue. I have NOT seen it all!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

It's the same on Econolines. The 85 E350 RV had a sticker telling OCIs on the oil filler neck that covered the IP to gear bolts.

chickenpot

Reaction score
Even cheaper for these IDI size ones. For 2500mi oci, is it even worth using an extra quart of oil for a psd filter?

You must be registered for see images attach
i bought a few cases of those too before i realized the psd filters were almost as cheap. so if i ever use 40 psd filters ill start using the regular idi ones

in my head the psd filter is designed for longer oci's and maybe finer particulate removal cause of the heui system. idk i run a TP bypass filter too lol

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems like folks are leaning towards cheap filters and change them out more frequently - good way to go and i'm all for it. Will check out the rock auto ones hadn’t really considered it, usually pick up the motorcraft psd filters at wally world which is where i've been getting oil lately

Around 3k oci is what makes sense to me, don’t have to stress if it stretches to 4k more or if the truck ends up idling long periods or gets worked etc. engine burns a qt every 700 mile too

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the early 2000’s, when Mobil 1 was slowing/subtly introducing their extended performance gas motor oil. Dad, brother, and I started doing 10k OCI’s.

Problem was there wasn’t a filter on the mkt that touted/marketed lasting 10k miles. So we would put a new filter on at 5k miles.

I’d be apt to run the oil longer than the filter.