'87-'91 steering column options?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after reading up on the 87-91 steering columns it seems that parts are a beach to find. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time and don't want to end up with a bad column and no parts available. Aside from finding a good JY part what are the current options? I need the tilt function or at least need the column locked in the uppermost position but even some of the $$$$ rebuilders just convert tilt to non-tilt. I still would have bought the truck if I knew this ahead of time but it's a bit unfortunate something essential like the steering column has so little available, unless I'm mistaken in my parts searching. I can deal with expensive but if it's NLA that's a whole different deal.
Aside from finding a good JY part what are the current options? What years/models can be swapped in? Does the column need to be setup for cruise control or can that wiring be swapped over? And I've found info about a full OBS dash swap but just wondering about swapping the column. I can't do the fab work but if it's not too much I do know an excellent welder and a master machinist that could assist me in making the OBS bracket fit--if it's even remotely possible.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If memory serves me right, any column from f150 through F super duty, and bronco are all interchangeable. Cruise wiring is part of blinker switch, which can be moved easily.

As for a replacement column, I always have gone to the wrecker for one. Not sure of any vendors.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to use any f-series and bronco column from 91 - 80, possibly even into the 70's but not for sure on this. On the 80-86 column you may need to swap the bracket that bolts to the dash from your original column.

From my experience, trucks with a tilt column usually already have cruise control.

I don't think that the 92 up column would be a feasible option, (not saying that it can't be done) would be a very extensive project though. All of the wiring is totally different, mounting is different, size and shape of the dash opening is different.

James

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh and to add, auto columns are different than manual columns. So there's 4 columns to pick from.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the bottom of each thread is several related threads
Here is one from below.

Goat

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would find a non-tilt column from a wrecking yard or something, and take the cruise wiring from your old column and swap it over. The non-tilt columns are much more robust than their tilting counterparts, and while it is up to preference, I usually left the tilt column in my 86 in the straight position anyway.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If memory serves me right, any column from f150 through F super duty, and bronco are all interchangeable.
I haven't had any FSuperduty experience here, but all the rest is for sure true. I had a column from a 1989 F150 in my 1986 Bronco after the 6.9 swap.
possibly even into the 70's but not for sure on this.
The only caveat here is the fact that there's no ignition switch in the column in the 70's models. That was on the dash. Right hand side of the wheel for the Dent Sides, left hand side for the Bump Sides.
On the 80-86 column you may need to swap the bracket that bolts to the dash from your original column.
They are different between the generations. It's an easy swap though.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I haven't had any FSuperduty experience here, but all the rest is for sure true. I had a column from a 1989 F150 in my 1986 Bronco after the 6.9 swap.
My old man's f350 has a F super duty column in it, only thing I saw that was different was the release pin hole for the ignition cylinder. Rest is the same.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old man's f350 has a F super duty column in it, only thing I saw that was different was the release pin hole for the ignition cylinder. Rest is the same.
As far as I know they are largely similar, I have a couple spare non tilt columns and see little to no differences to the one in my F-Superduty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty

Members online