Late to the party. '95 PSD CEL/Rough idle/Excessive engine noise

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Late to the party. '95 PSD CEL/Rough idle/Excessive engine noise.
I am on my 3rd idi, and my fist PSD.
This is in a F450 with a hyd tilt bed on it. It hasn't come home yet, but should be this Sunday late afternoon. I have not driven it and no idea what it does at road speed. Hard to pass up at $5K for me and the local area.
I googled it real fast and a sensor of some sort on top of the engine (?) or possible injector failure.
The interesting part is this thing will smooth out and quiet down intermittently.
Brand new fresh oil in the engine but I suspect the PO was not diligent about oil changes in the past.
Any shots in the dark where to begin?

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Step one would be to get yourself a laptop, Forscan, and an approved USB to OBD2 adapter cable. Check out Forscan’s website to sort out all that.

What you are describing sounds a bit like a bad ICP sensor, I have been around a 95 7.3 PSD with a known bad ICP and it sounds a bit like what you are describing… if they get bad enough they will cause the engine to no start…

If unplugged, they will start and run fine but sound almost like a DT466E at idle… and then erratically change to a 6.0 idle sound…

Either bad or unplugged will throw a CEL, like said it would be worth checking it out with Forscan.

**REPLACE SENSORS WITH GENUINE MOTORCRAFT PARTS ONLY**

The tolerances, values and variances between Motorcraft and aftermarket sensors may not be the same, not worth the potential risk of causing other problems.

Injector o-rings are a good preventative step to keep fluid mixing issues from happening down the road, look up 7.3 PSD injector cups if you reseal your injectors. Worth looking up ‘7.3 buzz test’ too

I must admit that it is pretty easy to diagnose a computer controlled engine, I would say the 7.3 PSD is especially easy to diagnose, computer-wise…

But it’s almost always related to a sensor, or some part of the computer system, that gets messed up on these, whereas an IDI is simple enough, not having a computer controlled system to have issues.

Both types of 7.3 diesel engines are great, as long as you’re fine with fairly low power levels, and sometimes temperamental cold weather starting…

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info, Looking at the symptoms listed and an oil soaked pigtail, I replaced the icp and pigtail. No more check engine light, but had a bit rough idle. I took it for a short test drive and once finding a hill had to turn around and come home. One of the valve cover plugs was disconnected and a broken connector.

I have a few parts ordered and as long as the V/C is off, a new set of ZD-30(?) glow plugs are in order. Mission creep then says it's time to play with oil cups and supposedly Riff Raff diesel had tools for rental and stainless cups for sale.

I believe the V/C gaskets, oil cups, Injector O rings and glow plugs and controller will get replaced and then maybe we see what we have to work with.

Mo Muney, Mo Muney.

This should keep me entertained awhile

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the number has changed, I believe the glow plug part # is a ZD-11.

James

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
ZD-11 or ZD-30 Get them from a reputable source. Riff Raff or a local Ford dealer. Stay away from evilbay and the jungle. Both are flooded with counterfeit parts.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZD 30 from rockauto. I have a lot going on and I need to get that engine dialed in. I am praying the injectors are not a problem once this contraption gets back together and hopefully the oil consumption drops off.