HElP! I bought Jake_IN 7.3 with a dead cyl

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
Like many of you I stumbled across Jake’s post about his 7.3 build. As things came to a conclusion he got the engine back together and running but it has a dead cyl probably #1.

When running the truck it blows white smoke something fierce and has precisely 0 power.

I know he has cracked the injector lines to verify the IP is pushing fuel. It seems to be. It does have an Electric lift pump to help feed the IP. And if I understood him correctly he seems to think it’s in decent time.

He explained he feels the piston stick out was a touch high and the larger cam could have caused a slight valve collision. Could I possibly see the piston top if I put a bore scope into the glow plug hole? If at all possible I would like to verify as much as possible before pulling anything apart.

I would be ever grateful for some suggestions as to what to check and your thoughts along the way. From his thread it looks like he’s done a great job putting this engine together and I’m hoping I can get it straight without taking things to far apart.

Jeremy

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m glad someone picked it up, I was definitely tempted. I have a set of heads in my shop right now, and my bore scope wouldn’t fit down the hole for the injector nozzle. I measured a nozzle and it was about 0.285”, so if your bore scope head is smaller than that it might work.

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
I’m glad someone picked it up, I was definitely tempted. I have a set of heads in my shop right now, and my bore scope wouldn’t fit down the hole for the injector nozzle. I measured a nozzle and it was about 0.285”, so if your bore scope head is smaller than that it might work.

I suppose I didn’t think they were quite that narrow.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you had a really tiny and flexible bore scope it could work. The precut opening is angled to point right at where the valves would hit the piston, and the inside of the precup has a curved surface that would guide the camera towards the hole. My cheapo bore scope couldnt do it, but I bet a nicer one could.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ROCK HARVEY curious if you have any recommendations on bore scopes - I'm on the m12 platform and have been eyeing theirs but also just whatever from harbor freight too. is it a diameter sizing or length issue limitation?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ROCK HARVEY curious if you have any recommendations on bore scopes - I'm on the m12 platform and have been eyeing theirs but also just whatever from harbor freight too. is it a diameter sizing or length issue limitation?
Sorry I’m no expert, I was just browsing Amazon. I saw some there like this one that have a 4mm (0.154in) diameter camera, half the width of mine: https://a.co/d/5v1sQpr

Here’s the one I have, like I said it’s a cheapo and too big to get through the precup. It did work great to pinpoint the spot where my IP was leaking though: https://a.co/d/eP8K7Av

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered who'd get it. I too thought about offering on it, but I've got enough rusty shop trucks around sitting around here not getting driven.

Endoscope might fit if you can snake it around. I've got one that's around an 1/8" diameter that fits in a lot of tight places. I don't have an idi to test it for you though.

I don't remember, did jake ever do a compression test on this? If not, I'd start from there, followed by a leakdown test to see where it's going. But if the compression test has failed, you'll likely be pulling heads at a minimum to fix it anyways.

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
AAAAnnd now the adventure begins :p My "Cheap Truck" (old rock band?) has become expensive lol. It is my own fault, I keep buying new stuff
I’m not stranger! Lol I have several “cheap trucks” around. I tell the wife they are my retirement fund.

Should have seen this old bird when I drug her crusty butt home. To clarify I mean the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_4053.png
    IMG_4053.png
    831.4 KB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online