Exhaust manifold bolts discontinued

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m gathering parts to do my head gaskets, and it appears that the exhaust manifold bolts (Part F4TZ-9S425-B) have been discontinued. Have you guys had luck re-using your old ones? I understand that the bolts are a special interference thread to keep them from backing out. Has anyone used standard bolts as a replacement? What about studs?

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just reused mine. I did notice the ones from my 87 6.9 and the newer 7.3 were slighly different on the shoulder. Before install I took everyone of them to the wire wheel. They had some mild rust pitting on top.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I did notice the ones from my 87 6.9 and the newer 7.3 were slighly different on the shoulder.
I do know that earlier bolts used a thick washer and at least the ones from a Factory Turbo engine have "washers" built onto the bolt heads like a lot of metric bolts do. Are those called "shouldered"?
Before install I took everyone of them to the wire wheel. They had some mild rust pitting on top.
Perfectly normal for something that's been exposed to A LOT of heat over the last 30+ years.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO You're right. I was trying to remember the difference I think I misspoke but yes the 6.9 has a washer/bolt and the other ones that came with my 7.3 had the integrated washer. Flanged bolts I believe. They were also thicker towards the bolt flange as to center the manifold better on the cylinder head.