C6 Lock up torque converter.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I didn't see where the description mentioned a locking option. It it does lock, that's a great idea. I've just bought a reduced slippage convertor to use.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I intend to say this in the nicest way possible...but I always have been blunt...

and...that tendency has always got me into trouble...but...honesty is the best policy...

I am going to say that I am sorry to bust your bubble right now before I shoot my mouth off...

Here goes...and like Larry The Cable Guy always says..."Dear God I am sorry...."

There is no way right now to install what is commonly accepted as a 'lock-up' torque convertor in a C-6 transmission...and get it to work as generally expected....without major re-engineering of the input shaft, pump, case and valvebody....

That advertisement is a mistake...probably by an IT 'pro' that doesn't know anything about transmissions and torque convertors.

On a diesel application the best you can do with a C-6 is to get the lowest stall possible to make use of the torque curve you have at an extremely low (compared to gas engines) RPM range...

If someone is talking about 'lock-up' in reference to a C-6 then they must be referring to an extremely low RPM 'coupling point' where both the impeller and turbine are spinning roughly the same speed under load...

There is no 100% mechanical locking together of both elements at any time...

Now...what can happen is that the component that is splined to the transmission input shaft...it's rotational speed can exceed that of the housing that is bolted to the engine...when you are coasting...especially downhill...

But...

There is no 100% mechanical locking together of both elements at any time...

I hope we can put this fallacy (that you can make a 'lock-up' torque convertor work in a C-6..) to bed, now...

There, I said it...

And to top it off...I'll bet you...uh...your first welding project....

Well...it was better than betting your first-born...

Just my unasked-for .02...

P.S. If you want a true lock-up toque convertor in your truck...the best way to go...(in my opinion) is a version of the E4OD...if you have ever been inside of one...it is a big, beautiful unit...that I would be proud to drive...if I had built it and had intimate knowledge of every part I put into it...

Ok...now I am done...

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
How about lock up cup holders? Were can you get them? C-6 or E4OD, I don't care.
Just use everyone's favorite cup holders, the one from a 2002 jetta, one sharp turn and you'll be wearing that big gulp!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@XOLATEM has invisible holding cup holders on his dash!! A conveyor belt to transport, and an open window to dispose of the contents and biodegradable cup.....:dunno;Poke:rotflmao although I think his electronics (driving) sometimes goes into “tilt” mode like the old pinball machines

On another note, I’m a blunt person too, and tell it like I see it. And the people who don’t know me think I’m an A-hole